Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default hard drive from Dell - 11-27-2009, 08:41 PM

hi there,
I would like to ask about the original disk drive from dell. One I had in my Mini 1010 failed (but due to diligent backups I did not lost any data) and replacement was shipped from Dell to my US address. Someone forwarded it to this god-forgotten place near Europe, but it got lost/stolen in mail/customs. It sucks, I am without my computer, I cant blog and skype to my family...

I would like to ask, how does the drive from Dell look like? And how can I make something similar to it? I do not have original one or fresh one from Dell.

My questions: are there multiple partitions? Diagnostics? Any Extras? How do I create them on any arbitrary blank disk bought from local store? Is there anything on top of Win xp? Some drivers? Some useful software? Where do I get the stuff? Is windows and all on those CD/DVD disks coming with my mini? Even if so, how do I get it on fresh blank disk without optical drive, which is not in mini...?

You can do the talking, my job is to listen.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-28-2009, 01:54 AM

the disk that ships with a new Mini 10 is usually a standard 2.5inch (9.5mm) 160gb SATA drive, when it comes with your system, depending on what you order in my case it had Windows XP Home on the 2nd partition and the 1st partition had the Dell diagnostic data on it (which you can do without), If I remember right I think the 3rd partition had the restore data on it) I replaced that tiny 160gb with a 500gb and the way I reloaded XP Pro (not home) on it was to load the setup disk onto a 8gb USB flash drive and boot from USB drive (do an F8) when booting and choose USB, then you can reload the OS, once you get that far you will have enough to at least get online, then you can go to Dells page and download the drivers specially required for the touchpad,the camera, the TV tuner if you have one....a lot of this will work just with the windows drivers from the install (thank god for plug & play), then also loaded Windows 7 Ultimate the same way, at the end I formatted the 8gb USB flash drive and loaded the Dell drivers off the original disk onto the flashdrive and created a Dell Drivers Folder in program files and copied all the drivers into it this way I always had any drivers I might need in the future, I did the same thing with the Dell Applications Disk and created another directory in program files called Dell Applications, at that point I had everything I would ever need to load/reload....then just updated the Win XP drivers and Windows 7 drivers on took a while but EVERYTHING works perfect....see my signature I now have a 500gb Mini 10 with Win XP Pro and Win 7 Ultimate on a dual boot, under 3 pounds, Mini...which I love....hope this helps..

PS: you could just use a USB external DVD drive to do all the above also..

GOOD LUCK.........Rich

PSS: you might be able to pay Dell extra and have them ship you a drive set up already...not sure but you could ask

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Thumbs up 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM

I agree with rrfranczak3, I also did the same thing and removed
that tiny 160 and added the W/D 500 gig, and loaded Windows 7 Pro,
pretty fast zippy little sucker now! (did this for both 10's) Then ordered
(2) sata usb cases and put those little drives into them. and use them for my back-up drives!

Just a side note. when I ordered the 10's I also ordered one Dell USB DVD Drive to use with
the mini's best investment I ever made,. the drive works very well and you by-pass the usb thing on loading programs.

(2) Dell Mini 10's, Alpine White,2GB RAM, Product Red, 1GB RAM, 500GB Drive (both), TV Tuner, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, 1366x768 High Def Screen, 6 cell Battery, Windows 7 Pro.

disk, format, partitions, restore, windows install

« How do I get the internal Mic to work? | Dell Quality Control »