Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

View Poll Results: Does your netbook TV tuner actually work?
Works Perfectly! 38 55.07%
Works to an extent but is unwatchable. 7 10.14%
Doesn't pick up any channels what so ever. 14 20.29%
Can't get it up and running (drivers, software etc) 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default POLL : TV Tuner Success Rates - 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I've just spent the morning really pushing it with my otherwise-wasted TV-Tuner option on my Dell Mini 10. Ever since I received it (and the aerial) I've never been able to pick up a single channel.

After struggling with the drivers once I had freshly installed Windows 7, I've had to download multiple addons/plugins for Windows Media Center and still getting absolutely nothing out of the TV Tuner, my next step is to plug it into the wall to see if it even works!

I've started this poll to see if other people are having problems with their TV-Tuner'd Mini 10s.

I know there are a few people who have had real troubles with Tv Tuners in the past (Mo!) so I don't think I'm the only one. Hopefully this poll will be able to reveal whether TV Tuners in netbooks are worth it or not.

Please vote in this poll if you've had experience with any other netbooks with TV Tuners, not just Dell Minis!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM

I've had good results with an Elgato EyeTV Diversity (Also sold as the Hauppauge Nova-DT Stick) on my Dell Mini 9 under OS X running EyeTV 3.

Works fine in Diversity mode (where both tuners are tune to the same mux via two separate stubby aerials to reduce the number of errors in the received stream) in hotels in Sweden, the Netherlands and at home in the UK.

Good results on 576/50i MPEG2 SD - even with decent de-interlacing enabled.

Whilst I could record 720/50p H264 SVT-HD in Stockholm, trying to watch it left me with a sequence of still frames!

Am very happy with it as a portable TV solution! (Suspect a single tuner without diversity would be a lot less satisfying without a decent aerial. I have tried a small active digital TV aerial with a splitter, and that allowed me to run in dual tuner mode, but is a bit bulkier. The active aerial is bigger than the Mini 9!)

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 32GB Runcore SSD - OSX 10.5.8 - WWAN / WiFi / Bluetooth
  (#3) Old
Default Software - 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM

On signal:

The little aerial picks up absolutely nothing with my new Dell Mini 10. Our main house aerial works fine.

On software:

With Windows 7 and Media Centre I find the "live pause" feature (which constantly tries to record what your watching) makes the software slow although it does vaguely work. Presetting a program to record in the future worked fine, although the file size was enormous. Watching live TV with the pre-installed XP software worked perfectly and had very little delay or problems. I'm still on the hunt for better software for scheduled recording.

Dell Mini 9: Black, Win7, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 16GB SD, WWAN
Dell Mini 10: White, Multiboot Win7, WinXP, Ubuntu, 160GB HDD, 1GM RAM, WWAN, TV Tuner
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Angry 10-30-2009, 12:39 AM

I dont even have a house aerial...we've had cable since 1977, just a waste of money for me..this TV tuner sucks, I cant even get radio, the button is grayed out

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Default 10-30-2009, 01:56 AM

I didn't vote because I fall between these 2 choices:
Works Perfectly!
Works to an extent but is unwatchable.

I have 10 channels over the air at my location
It doesn't work perfectly because it stutters sometimes on full 1080i channels that don't have subchannels stealing bits from the main channel.
CBS in my location is the only HD channel that utilizes the full bitrate of HD on one channel.
There are 3 others that use 1080i, but also have subchannels sharing the bitrates.
Two of these channels work pretty well on a clear day with no wind.
PBS shares its bitrate with 2 subs and the main one is 1080i.
The main PBS HD channel plays with no probs.
ABC is 720p, so it always plays well, unless there is a thunderstorm occurring.
All subs play perfectly, unless there is a storm, since they are 480i
FOX is far away and only comes in with my rooftop antenna.
The Dell antenna picks up the other 9 channels most of the time.

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand
  (#6) Old
Default what software? - 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM

what software are you guys using with Windows 7 on the Mini 1010? i have the drivers loaded, everything looks good in the device manager. the cyberlink power tv enhance software doesnt' detect the tuner card. media center does. i'm running windows 7 home premium. it sees the tuner, but doesn't pick up any signal. any suggestions?
  (#7) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-04-2009, 12:37 AM

It should work fine in Media Center, maybe you just aren't getting any channels :/

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#8) Old
Smile dell mini 10 tv tuner - 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM

works far better on the win tv drivers and software on windows 7
---far better interface and recording facility

works fine on my main aerial but poor on provided one - I am in a poor reception area
  (#9) Old
Default 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and the standard Dell Digital TV application (Cyberlink application I think found under Windows XP drivers), it's connected to the attic aerial and works great!
  (#10) Old
Default 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM

I'm 35 miles away from San Francisco and get nothing, which isn't surprising beause we're in a valley (Contra Costa County) and regular TV reception is bad anyway. I'll be in SF tomorrow and report back.

Mini 1010 | Windows 7 Home Premium clean install over factory installed XP | 1GB RAM | 160GB drive | 1024x600 screen | Bluetooth | 1.3MP webcam | 6-cell battery | TV tuner

« Latest GMA500 Driver v8.14.10.2026-06/11/2010-FLASH HD VIDEO ACCELERATION WORKING | PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable & OS not found »