Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Dell advertising "Windows 7 upgrade eligible" on Mini 10 and Mini 10vin the UK - 10-02-2009, 01:19 PM

see 14 DAYS OF DEALS (link will probably only work today)

or navigate there by

go to the dell home page
click on Dell deals - deals for home
on the gray segmented bar under the vodafone offer click on days of deals on the far right. We are currently on day 2. both the mini 10 and mini 10v are being advertised, for the UK market in GBP, as "Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade eligble". click through and you will see that only operating system being offered is Windows XP home.

see also which doesn't reflect this. yet?

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Looks like it is just another Dell bait and switch.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM

The link didn't actually work for me, but you are correct in saying that the page in question does in fact state that these two models are eligble, which (in theory at least) this should not be the case!

Bearing in mind that there is a £20 offer on for today only as well, if I were seriously thinking of ordering (another!) one, I would 'phone up Dell and get them to guarantee the offer... which I have a nasty feeling they won't be prepared to do!

Has to be worth a try anyway!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old
Default 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM

When I bought my Mini 10 a month or so ago on US site it said the same.. infact it had that option even until I checked out... but then there was a caviat that on clicking through the details Mini 10 wasn't there
  (#4) Old
Default 10-02-2009, 11:04 PM

yeah, sorry, better link: 14 DAYS OF DEALS

they have now amended the text of the advert, so I guess that confirms that they regard this as an error (and I'm personally impressed that they have done that rather than just leaving it).

It occurs to me that this text may have originated in the US where, if I read correctly on this forum, there is a 2GB mini 10 with vista ?

I am still seriously considering the purchase of another mini, but I will wait to see what happens when windows 7 ships in a few weeks time. When Dell are good they can be very good, but sometimes they can be ... well see Dell bait and switch - Google Search

For folk buying over the internet in the UK, it's not too late: there is a 7 day cooling-off period in which you can send yours back for a refund see The Office of Fair Trading: Distance Selling Regulations.

XP is an outdated and broken system that the manufacturer refuses to fix (see Slashdot Technology Story | Microsoft Says No TCP/IP Patches For XP). Dumping it on unsuspecting consumers is worse than foolish, but this kind of advertising "error" is not new for Dell. This and the story with the mini 10 graphics drivers are going to leave a lot of customers feeling pretty sore, which is a shame because it is a great bit of kit, all it needs is for Dell to stand behind it. At the price they are selling it you could pratically have a full laptop, and we know they got XP almost free. And wouldn't Microsoft rather see those XP users converted to Win7 than Ubuntu ?

Anyone from Dell reading may want to try reading something like The Price is Wrong: Understanding What Makes a Price Seem Fair and the True Cost of Unfair Pricing: Sarah Maxwell: Books

As you sow, so shall ye reap. Just trying to plant a seed here guys ... :-)

Anyone else here think that Dell should be thinking in terms of Windows 7 upgrades for mini 10 buyers in October like they advertised ?

« Moblin 2.0 | Is this common? Freeze-up on awaken. Ubuntu 9.04 »