Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default How to install XP SP3 using a USB Stick **INCLUDES MISSING STEPS** - 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM

I just got a bunch of mini 10's and found they had ubuntu (i didnt order them!).

This is of no use to me so had to get XP on them asap. You would think this is simple, WRONG!!!!!

After much faffing about, reading forums posts and scratching head I got all of them loaded up dead easy. Here is how its done to avoid any annoying mnessages like 'asms not found' or 'cannot find any hard drives' etc.

1. Grab a copy of Windows XP Home or Pro but it MUST BE SERVICE PACK 3(SP3) SP2 WILL NOT WORK WITH THE MINI 10.

2. Goto this site http://www.pctipsbox.com/installing-...b-flash-drive/ and follow it to make a bootable xp install stick. So you have now got yourself a XP USB install stick that you can boot from. Plug it into your mini 10 and hit F12 as it powers up and choose USB MEDIA.

3. It will then boot off your stick, choose option 1 when prompted and the win XP setup program will startup.

4. When you get to the part of the setup where you get to choose the disk to install XP on, MAKE SURE YOU DELETE ALL THE PARTITIONS. Then create a new partition using the whole of the hard drive, choose NTFS quick format.

Now in order to not get the annoying asms error, after the format is complete and it starts copying files, hold the power button down until the mini 10 is turned off. Then go through all of step 4 again, delete the partition you created and make it again. The reason for this step is XP currently sees your hard drive as a 'E' drive instead of a 'C' drive and has to be corrected.

5. So the text part of the setup is done, the mini 10 will reboot. MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THE POWER BUTTON DOWN TO TURN OFF THE MINI 10. This will make sure you have no 'cannot find your install cd' problems. Turn it back on.

Press F12 again to boot off the stick and choose option 2 to start the GUI part of XP setup.

Let the install finish, after you have logged into windows pull the USB stick out of the mini 10. Nearly done now, just need to correct the boot.ini file so it trys to boot the mini 10 not the USB.

5. Lets get the 'My computer' icon onto the desktop, right click the desktop and choose properties. Click desktop tab, click the 'customize desktop' button and tick the box for my computer. keep clicking 'ok' until your back to the desktop.

You now have an icon for my computer, right click it and choose properties. click the ADVANCED tab, under 'Startup and Recovery' click the 'settings' button. click the 'edit' button.

6. You now have the boot.ini file opened up for editiing. Delete everything in it and copy the part below in its place. MAKE SURE YOU DO IT EXACTLY. BETTER TO COPY IT ONTO A STICK AND THEN YOU CAN PASTE IT.

[Boot Loader]
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S

(there should be so space in window s, its just how the forum is formatting it)

7. Make sure the stick is unplugged and do a restart. Windows will now boot.! woohoo!

8. Leech these drivers from dell for your mini 10:

R214472
R210564
R224104
R208883
R213951
R210566
R238734
R213776
R213950
R210544
R230152
R213954
R230436
R213551
R210570
R231949
R210546

And thats it! Hope it saved you a lot of searching!!

cheers

Dirtsquirt
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Here is a very nice utility which is more straight forward to use with many more options to it:

PS: It will also work for Windows 7 and Linux also and format your USB stick too:
ScreenShot:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/285508143/WinSetupFromUSB_0-2-3.exe

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 10-05-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
Here is a very nice utility which is more straight forward to use with many more options to it:
Handy app, here is the creators thread on another forum with direct download links and previous versions. May be helpful if people need assistance using the tool.

« Can SD reader be changed to "ejectible" one? | Broke my mini OS - how to use dellrecover partition? »