Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default broken kbrd ribbon help thanks - 09-18-2009, 11:38 PM

While trying to change the hard drive with a larger one I left the keyboard ribbon connect as I was unable to easily remove it.

The ribbon came out and now my question.

Is there a way to use an external windows keyboard attached to the USB port which will allow me to modify the settings with the F2-F12 during boot?

Techinicinas thell me it is no longer possible to connect the original ribbon to the motherboard.

However I must say the hardware quality is really fragile in these machines ....

Any hints?

(#2) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 11:43 PM

Did the ribbon pull out of the connector on the motherboard or did it separate from the keyboard??

If the ribbon "came out" of the connector, you should still be able to reconnect the ribbon, provided the connector was not broken.

Otherwise, an external usb keyboard should work.

This is the diagram for the 10V, but it should be similar.

(#3) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 11:51 PM

Yes, surely you can just pull the little tabs out, slot the ribbon back in to the connector and push the tabs back in? Or did the connector break off the board?
  (#4) Old
Default 09-19-2009, 02:56 AM

You may want to ask a different technician. Unless the connector on the motherboard is badly damaged you can fix the OEM keyboard. You can also use a USB keyboard, if you prefer. Just plug it in and turn on the Mini. Plug and Play is a great thing.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 09-20-2009, 01:52 AM

personally I would send it back to get fixed, having to have an external keyboard totally destroys the whole idea of have the mini in the first place, if you wanna carry all that crap, might just as well carry a 17" HP with ya...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Slow Internet downlaod speeds on Mini 10 ?? | Best option(s) for using external monitor/projector with Mini 10 »