Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Video Chat on Windows 7 Enterprise - 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Hello, I have a Mini 10 w/ Windows 7 Enterprise installed (120 day full working trial). It runs pretty well, and I only needed to install the touch-pad drivers and updated video card.

I am, however, having trouble with the camera. The video works, but if I launch gchat with video, it pegs the CPU at 100% and after 5 seconds it becomes useless (sound stops working on the chat, and the video refreshes every few seconds) because of the CPU utilization.

I haven't tried Skype yet, but I've read on here and elsewhere that Skype doesn't work at all.

My question is, does anyone have problems with Google Video chat or other chat software on the Mini 10? I didn't realize until after I purchased it that I couldn't go to 2 GB RAM.

I am open to switching operating systems as I just need it for Web-browsing, music, movies, etc. I might give Ubuntu a try, what do ya'll think? Any experience with the web-cam on Ubuntu?

Having a mini-laptop with a built-in webcam is nice, but i need to get the darn thing to work!

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM

I had some problems with using Google Video, I think mainly because the documentation is unclear. Skype has been working fine on XP with SP3 for me, though.
No problem, good luck finding someone to answer, heh.

Received lowest quality mini 9 with 512 megs RAM, 4 GB SSD. Additions:
-4 GB SSD [2 GB SD Card: getting 16 GB SDHC]
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
[Extra screen space IS AMAZING, as is having a working keyboard]
  (#3) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Good to know. If it comes down to it, I can go back to XP. I just didn't expect Google Chat video to be so intensive on the CPU.

Anyone else with Mini10 Webcam experience? Remember, this is not the 10v.

Thanks again.

« Does mini 10v come with bluetooth? | Doing runcore style upgrade with any ssd »