Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default New Dell Mini Questions - 09-05-2009, 02:44 AM

I just bought a Dell Mini 10. I already have a 17" desktop replacement notebook so the Mini will be used mainly just for portability for when I go to college. I'll mostly be doing web browsing and typing documents on it.

Few Quick Questions:

1. I installed AVG on it. I'm always used that in the past because it's pretty light on resources and gets the job done. I almost installed Avira but didn't want to bother with the popups and Avast looks good too, but I figured since I was used to AVG, I'll just install that. Do you think I made the right choice?

2. The battery meter in the taskbar showed up the first time I booted it, but it hasn't displayed since. I know I can just push F3, but I'd still like to see the battery in the bottom right. I already tried disabling the "hide inactive icons" and I have "show battery" checked in the power options. Any ideas?

3. Is there any specific must-have software that you recommend? I already installed Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Google Chrome, and FoxIt Reader.

Any other tips?

(#2) Old
Default 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM

I add Mesh from Microsoft as this syncs docs between the 2 or more machines with a copy on the net as a back up. This is free and with 5GB data.

Take a look!

Dell Mini 10 Win 7 U | TV tuner | 3G built in | HD | 160GB 5400 HDD | Office 2010 Beta | Shame the GPS isn't much use

This is the best Travel mate I have had!
  (#3) Old
Default 09-13-2009, 12:53 PM

To your questions:

1. AVG free is also my long-time anti-virus app.

2. It disappears in XP from time to time, not sure the cause. Better install Windows 7, the battery meter will always be in the taskbar.

3. 7z, ZoneAlarm free firewall (only for XP & Vista as for Sept. 2009), Daemon Tools, ImgBurn, Easeus Partition Manager Home Edition (free), Mozilla Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

Enjoy your new mini

mini 10 (1010, AU)|1GB RAM|160GB HDD|BlueTooth|DVB-T|GMA 500|1024x576

Inspiron 1300n|1GB RAM|60GB HDD|DVD+RW|GMA 900|1280x800

Both run with Windows XP Home SP3 + Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual-OS.

« Video Quality - iTunes | BBC iPlayer on the 10 »