Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Exclamation Safe to Dual-Boot: Can it be done without dataloss? - 08-25-2009, 07:04 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to Repartition the hdd while keeping the data I have accumulated on my C: Drive .

I own a Dell Mini 10. (Z520 / 1GB/ 160GB HDD / GMA 500/ HDMI out)
Currently I have not mucked with any settings, and just use it as a XP:Home machine. (chatting/music/travel blah blah)

I have aquired a copy of OSX Leopord 10.5 and wish to dual boot OSX and XP:H . I also have a copy of XP:P (but would only switch to if all data was lost and had to start 100% fresh.)

I have read the guides on this site, and am not very stupid at computers, but was wondering if one can somehow intellegently repartition the disk

(200 mb Boot sector/partition , ~80gb XP , 30 GB OSX, 35 GB shared (if possible ... IIRC, mac's can read a fat32 or ntfs partition?) )

I own a 16GB (14.4 formatted fat32) flash drive for the install, and have spare 4gb and 512mb drives.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as far as a total system backup, byte by byte of the disk ? I've heard of norton ghost and stuff, but is that what I want? More importantly, will the ghost software boot off usb, and allow me to restore easily? (I ask because I dont own an external usb cd or floppy drive.)

My Plan of attack is this:
1) Rip all media and documents / settings / apps / etc - onto 1TB external drive (about to buy soon)

2) Delete all un needed data, so I can fit my whole disk backup onto the 16GB Thumbdrive.

3) Try to non-destructively re-partition the disk, to avoid hassle of restore/norton ghost/ pissing around, and figuring how to start fresh with the 200mb boot partition, and then figuring out how to restore the backup onto a diff partition, and all that trouble of makin it work.

4) Go about OSX install, as per guide(s)

Thanks for reading. Hope I didn't drag on and on too much.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM

download gparted live and unetbootin then use unetbootin to put the virtual image of gparted live on a usb drive and then restart and boot up the usb drive use gparted live to reformat your hard drive without data loss

« Transport Stream .TS file playback | 800x600 resolution and touchpad problemsin Ubuntu 9.04 »