Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default SSD question - 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Has anyone had any experience using a SSD on the Dell Mini 10? If so, what did you use...and do you have to physically install it inside the netbook? And if there is any other stuff a newbie needs to know on this specific topic, I'd appreciate that too

(#2) Old
Default 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM

i have an OCZ vertex 250Go in my mini 10 and had no problem to install it.
but the speed is not very high, no more than 50 Mo/s (reason = chipset poulsbo)
The mini 10 is much more reactive, because the access time of the vertex is 100 times better than the original HD
and of course no more noise: nothing ...
very comfortable indeed
  (#3) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 05:09 PM

I've got a Patriot Warp 64gb I picked up from CompUSA. Plugs right in, very happy with it. No noise, no heat, and with my 6 cell battery I get tons of time on the Mini10.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-30-2009, 02:19 AM

SmittyRN, did you do any testing before and after the SSD to measure battery life?
  (#5) Old
Default SSD experience so far... - 08-30-2009, 04:55 PM

I just got my "previously ordered new" white 10v from the outlet - came with a 2.5" Seagate 160GB Momentus HDD installed with XP on it. I love my 32GB Runcore SSD in my Mini 9, so really wanted an SSD in the 10v, too. They aren't cheap, though.

I managed to win a used OCZ 60GB SATA II SSD off eBay for $112 including shipping. It has a read score of 155MBs and write of 90MBs. It's the same size and weight as the stock Seagate drive. I put it in yesterday. It's not very difficult to swap out, you just have to be carefull getting the keyboard up because it's underneath. (I also put in a 2GB RAM stick, and that's a pain.)

With the SSD my 10v boots up completely in 30 seconds and I have not noticed any YouTube lagging or other problems. I have the 6-cell battery and after 3.5 hours of intensive use on the SSD I'm still at 70%. I swear the machine runs cooler, too. I will do a complete battery runout to see how long it goes with the SSD, but so far I am very pleased.

« Pre-Purchase Mini 10 Questions. | Very low VRAM »