Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Default 08-13-2009, 04:53 AM

Turn off system restore on all drives and lower the recycle bin's chewing habits to 256mb, in that way you can save a good amount of space too.
  (#12) Old
Default 08-21-2009, 08:41 AM

From what I understand, Windows 7 and Vista are designed to use almost all the memory in the system almost all the time, because of superfetch/data caching, but when memory is needed, superfetch turns off to supply it:
Microsoft Windows Vista: How much memory is enough? -

So, even on a system with lots of RAM, RAM usage should always be higher than it would be on a Windows XP system. When vista first came out, everyone's was about 90% and people freaked out over it. I think they've fixed that (the article says ~50%). However, it's just using memory that would otherwise be sitting around, so it's using memory more effectively (in theory). When you need it (it would not be just sitting around anymore), it frees it back up.
  (#13) Old
Default 08-23-2009, 01:53 AM

For those that have installed Windows 7 on the mini 10... I installed release 7000 and 7100 without a hitch. I then reinstalled XP home because there was no suitable GPS driver for the Verizon card (at the time).

So now I have an RTM copy of Windows 7 and I swapped hard drives (to preserve XP home in case the install goes south). I start the install.

I get an error - required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing...

And I'm not sure why I'm seeing this, because I'm installing from a thumb drive...

What's the difference between build 7100 and RTM that we're going backward asking for drivers at setup?

The only difference between the two installs is the drive. The previous (factory) drive is a WD Scorpio Blue (5400rpm) and the one in there now is a Seagate Momentus (7200rpm).

« Dell Outlet 10% off coupon, this weekend only | Overactive HD on the Mini 10? »