Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Talking Xubuntu display works! Now: Help me PIMP MY MINI! - 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks to SammyBoy and others, I now have a Mini 10 running Xubuntu 9.04 with a working native-resolution (1366x768) display. Overall, things are much speeded up. For example, I was admiring the screensaver options, which previously looked like some kind of stop-motion experiment but now run smoothly.

I've also downloaded the Meerkat extension for Firefox, and the Adobe Flash plug-in so my little boy and I could watch Star Wars on Youtube.

So - now what? Help me Pimp Out my Mini! What else should I download? What are the popular programs for Ubuntu? What settings should I change? Help me turn this cute little black thang into the Samuel L Jackson of netbooks!

- Alaska Jack

PS: Please note that I am a Mac and WIndows power user but a complete Ubuntu novice. For example, I was going to update firefox to 3.5, but there were about a million different instructions out there for how to do that, and I didn't know what the best way way, so eventually I gave up and figured I would just wait until it was rolled into the update packages.

PPS: Installing the Flash plugin was somewhat similar. I think I read somewhere not to use Synaptic, but instead to get it right from Adobe's website, for whatever reason. So I went to Adobe's website, and they have like 5 different versions to install (YUB, deb, tar.gz, etc) with no instructions for any of them. WTF?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Install Ubuntuzilla, its a script for installing the latest version of Firefox on Ubuntu and it will even check for the latest version automatically if you allow it to.

You also need the .deb installer for Adobe Flash as all Ubuntu variants are based on Debian. This means that you can just double click on the file and it will set itself up.

As for Firefox Extensions, these are the ones I have:

NoScript (An Essential Addon)
Google Preview
Footiefox (If you follow the Football/Soccer)
IETab (Only works on Window...obviously!!!!)
Colourful Tabs

Dell Mini 10 - Intel Atom Z530@1.6Ghz, 1Gb DDR2, Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, Dell HD Display@1366x768, Integrated Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11a/g/n, 6-Cell Battery, Jolicloud 1.1

« webcam problem youtube | Loss of volume control after using Digital TV »