Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default [Help] Screws WILL NOT COME OUT - 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM

For some reason I can not get the screw holding the WLAN card out or top right keyboard screw to come out, the screw driver is the right size they just won't come out I have not heard of anyone having this much of an issue with getting these screws out please help me.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-22-2009, 03:10 AM

On the wireless card make sure that one or both of the wires are not jammed in between the frame of the netbook and the card, mine was I ended up screwing the wireless card trying to remove it.

But on getting the screws out, they use a compund on them and yes it can take some force to unlock them. I had to use a pair of pliars on my screw driver to get enough torque to get a couple of my screws out.

Mini 10v, 270, 2GB, BCM92046 BT, Cheap 5300 knockoff wifi, 160GB, 6 cell, Win XP, Jade Green

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

John Wayne
  (#3) Old
Default 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM

If they won't turn, and you are worrying about stripping the screw with the screwdriver, here's a trick we used to use back in the Air Cav to give the screwdriver tip a lot of extra bite in the screw and keep it from slipping and stripping out. Take a bit of Comet cleanser and push it into the top of the screw with your finger. Then push down on the top of the screwdriver while you turn it. On a really stuck screw, the screwdriver tip would actually break before it would slip out of the slots.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Well in the end the good news is I got the screws out and got a ratchet screw driver at the same time, however I encountered the wonderful issue that my RAM is defective and not working (FML) and now I need new RAM.

« Use flash module for bitlocker? | RAM Upgrade on Mini 10 »