Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default wireless doesn't connection - 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM

hi,
i've got an odd problem, in that i can't get the wireless on my shiny new mini 10 to talk to anything (it's the dell 1510n). my steps to date are:
. unpack and try it. can see networks but not connect
. try and update dell ubuntu. couldn't because of libxcb-shape0 bug
. give up and install remix. update
. retry. can still see networks but not connect
. change router from wep to wpa-psk on the off chance
. no change.

any thoughts?

thanks,
  (#2) Old

Default 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with the 1510 card in both the Mini 10 and 10v. I still haven't fully fixed the problem on my own system (my wireless connection drops out every few minutes, but reconnects almost immediately), but there is some helpful information in these threads that helped me figure out what to do first:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...0-n-sucks.html

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...ndows-7-a.html

I can't specifically speak to your problem because I'm running Windows XP, not Ubuntu. However, maybe the above threads will be able to point you in the right direction. Also, what finally enabled me to connect was changing settings on the router itself, including the broadcast channel.

Good luck!
  (#3) Old

Default 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM

I have 4 of the Mini 10v's

With the exception of 1 they there were no issues with the wireless.

I could hardley get the 1 to connect no matter what I tried. It would only connect if you were less then 2 feet from the router & then it would keep dropping & reconnecting.

After several hours troubleshooting & a call to Dell support ( The tech was ready to call it a bad wifi card & send another.) we tracked it down to the router channel.

The router was set on channel 6, most wireless items in your house, Cordless phones, Cell phones & microwaves also use channel 6.

We changed the router to channel #11 & it fixed the problem.

Plus my entire network with 3 PCs & 5 laptops runs better.

Dell Inspiron 6000
Dell XPS M1530
3 Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
1 Dell Inspiron Mini 10
HP Mediasmart EX470 WHS
  (#4) Old

Default 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM

it's worth a try. the router is currently set to channel 8, but who knows. after that i might give dell support a try. it does seem as though some cards are more delicate than others.

thanks
  (#5) Old

Default 07-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBick View Post
I have 4 of the Mini 10v's

With the exception of 1 they there were no issues with the wireless.

I could hardley get the 1 to connect no matter what I tried. It would only connect if you were less then 2 feet from the router & then it would keep dropping & reconnecting.

After several hours troubleshooting & a call to Dell support ( The tech was ready to call it a bad wifi card & send another.) we tracked it down to the router channel.

The router was set on channel 6, most wireless items in your house, Cordless phones, Cell phones & microwaves also use channel 6.

We changed the router to channel #11 & it fixed the problem.

Plus my entire network with 3 PCs & 5 laptops runs better.
LOL I don't have this problem but I am pretty sure my Linksys router defaults to channel 6, I will make sure to change it.

Mini 10v, 270, 2GB, BCM92046 BT, Cheap 5300 knockoff wifi, 160GB, 6 cell, Win XP, Jade Green

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

John Wayne
  (#6) Old

Default 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM

that worked a treat. i changed the channel from 8 to 1 on the router and it connected straight away.

again, many thanks
  (#7) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjed View Post
hi,
i've got an odd problem, in that i can't get the wireless on my shiny new mini 10 to talk to anything (it's the dell 1510n). my steps to date are:
. unpack and try it. can see networks but not connect
. try and update dell ubuntu. couldn't because of libxcb-shape0 bug
. give up and install remix. update
. retry. can still see networks but not connect
. change router from wep to wpa-psk on the off chance
. no change.

any thoughts?

thanks,
I had this problem on my win xp model ( I know diff OS) so I tried disabling the service for the dell wireless utility and let windows manage the wireless connection.

It now works fine ( im not sure if the ubuntu image has that dell utility but I bet thats the problem) ....
  (#8) Old

Thumbs up Thank you - 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM

My shiny brand new Mini10 (with Ubuntu) had connected to the WiFi on first attempt, but then became very unreliable, failing to reconnect after suspend, and randomly refusing to authenticate or DHCP. After hours of nightmare, with router firmware updated, and fiddling in vain with the software setup, we found CBick's advice about the router channel, and switched from 6 to 11. Magic happened, and the wireless is now connecting fast and reliably.
I have to agree with posts elsewhere on this site that the 1510 is rubbish, failing to work in conditions that other devices (mobiles, blackberry, other laptops) find perfectly fine. And Dell's own support site was not helpful in the least.
Big thank you and extra brownie points to CBick!
  (#9) Old

Default Dell created the problem - 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM

After switching ISP's (and routers) only our mini10 had a problem. Sometimes it would connect wirelessly, sometimes it wouldn't. Connecting the ethernet cable to restore the wireless connection would fix the problem for awhile. After trying several fixes mentioned here and elsewhere, I found this thread. Disabling the DELL wireless software fixed the problem. Nice racket they have going. Install crappy software and then charge you to "fix" the problems it causes. Their products are cheap, but you have to spend a couple days a year "working" for DELL.

« Help | Dell 1010 19s won't come out of hibernate »