Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default No video waking from Standby - 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM

This is my first post on MyDellMini, and I've checked for similar threads but didn't find any. If someone else has posted the same problem, I'm sorry.

I've had my Mini 10 for about two months now. I got it when Dell had a website with a HUGE listing of refurbished units, and I just couldn't resist the $270 pricetag.

Here are the specs:

Mini 10 (not 10v)
Windows XP Home SP3 (the Dell-installed one)
Intel Atom Z530
1GB RAM (of course, stupid soldered-in RAM)
Intel GMA500 graphics
1024x576 display

In Windows, I put the computer on Standby. Then to wake it up, I've tried pressing escape, or any keyboard button, or tapping the mouse... but it doesn't wake up. But if I press the power button once (as if I were turning it on from being totally off), and wait a few seconds, the system powers off... as if Windows were still running, but with no video, and pressing the power button once is telling Windows to do a soft shut-down.

So so far, if I put the Mini on standby, I might as well just do a full Shut Down, cuz I can't wake it up from Standby.

Anyone else have this problem?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM

No need to appologize. First, I have the same mini 10 specs, but I payed twice as much, which is irrelevant to your question. I did have the episode you describe once or twice and was at first concerned. The problem seems to have disappeared after fiddling with the power options. Cheers, Saxo.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-17-2009, 09:57 PM

I know this is days late, but you by chance don't have hibernation enabled? And by chance have the computer ibernate when you press the power button in the power schemes?

Mini 10v, 270, 2GB, BCM92046 BT, Cheap 5300 knockoff wifi, 160GB, 6 cell, Win XP, Jade Green

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

John Wayne
  (#4) Old
Smile 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks Saxo and woodscomp,

Well since that post, I've also fiddled with the power settings, so I'm not sure what they were when I was having the problem. I think I DID have the Mini hibernate after X minutes under the power schemes, and yes hibernation was on. But, if the power scheme was set to hibernate after say, 10 minutes, and I set it on standby and then came back to wake it up only 5 minutes later, it wouldn't respond.

Anyway, it seems to be a moot point now because since I've fiddled with the power schemes, I haven't had the problem. I can put it on standby, come back and hit the power button, and it goes back into windows just fine.

But thanks anyway for the help!
  (#5) Old
Default 09-13-2009, 03:03 AM

I set my mini10 to standby when I close the lid. I noticed that sometimes when I open the lid it takes a while to wake up from standby, sometimes 17 seconds. One time it didn't come back at all and I had to remove the battery, put it back in, then it turned on. Sometimes it comes out of standby quick enough where I don't notice it as a problem. I have hibernate disabled.

I did a search and found a suggestion to turn off USB bios Legacy Support in the BIOS.

This is beside the point, but while in the bios I noticed an option "On Board Lan Control". I never ever intend to use the ethernet port so would it be save to disable this option so the computer doesn't bother providing power or resources to the ethernet port?

Getting back to returning from Standby, it scared me when I had to remove the battery to get it to restart. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to shutdown instead of standby every time I close the lid, but would prefer not to.

Thanks for any comments..

(#6) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM

The only thing I dont like about standby is that the battery keeps running, I like hibernate, when I close the lid, it hibernates, no battery loss, and it wakes up pretty quickly (10-20secs), but atleast the battery is still in the same condition as when I closed the lid...I guess it depends how long you keep it on my case it might be hours so hibernate is better....just my 0.02.........Rich

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old
Default 09-14-2009, 02:30 AM

So far disabling USB bios legacy support in bios has done the trick. Opening the lid the OS returns in 3-4 seconds.

I'm going to disable the ethernet port in bios. I never installed a driver for it anyway.

« BBC iPlayer on the 10 | How the heck do you use the webcam »