Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Turbo Memory possible? - 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Love the forum...long time lurker, first time poster

Anywho, I just purchased my Mini 10 (no, not the 10v). I was fully aware of the RAM limitation when I bought it, but I know my XPS m1330 has a mini pci-e slot for turbo memory (which is basically just a flash drive plugged in through a mini pci-e port) which can be used for ReadyBoost.

I know Readyboost is mostly a joke, but I also know from experience that at 1GB of RAM (and lower), it CAN make a difference.

The Mini 10 also has an internal mini pci-e slot, but I can't get any confirmation on whether or not it will recognize turbo memory.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

If you're going to go to that hassle, why not just upgrade the ram?
  (#3) Old
Default 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BAF View Post
If you're going to go to that hassle, why not just upgrade the ram?
The RAM is soldered in place on the Mini 10, so an upgrade is not possible. Maybe you are thinking of the 10v?

I can't answer the original question about turbo memory, but I can say that I have used USB thumb drives for ReadyBoost on my Mini 12, which has similar limitations to the Mini 10. It makes a noticeable difference, IMO. Hopefully you can find a way to make it work!
  (#4) Old
Default 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM

I have the same question, hope that a tech. can give an answer...
  (#5) Old
Default 08-12-2009, 11:10 AM

The only way to tune a 1010 is running less Programs. I used first the MSCONFIG and clean all the Programms out exept the virusscan and the Touchpad. Then you will get the best performance without to hassle with memory and boost stuff. My Ram Us was 700 MB out of the box, now I am running it with 250 -300 Mb after startup. More then enough Ram for Applications.

Greetings from Switzerland

« Upgraded my Mini 10 to Win 7 Device problems | Mini 10 with SIM card slot / WWAN? »