Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 10 Decision - Need Help =) - 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM

So my job just got in some Mini 10s and am seriously considering it. Although I just bought one of the newer HP Mini 1000 (160gb HDD, VGA out, 1gb ram), I was still curious about the Dell.

From what I've read, the first mini 10 could not be ugpraded to 2gb of ram, is this still true? the one we received has hdmi and vga out, 160 gb hdd, webcam, the digital tuner port thing, 6 cell battery, and the model number i got off the box was im10-use002aa (which i can't find any info on) and as the intel GMA 500 in it for 399. any info would greatly be appreciated =)
  (#2) Old
Default 07-07-2009, 10:28 PM

That's the mini 10 (not the 10v). As for not being upgradeable I really don't think you will be missing anything as the processes these little machine can handle won't need more than a GB.

(#3) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 05:02 AM

That's almost exactly the machine I got and I love it. I guess you have to decide what you want it to do though. I've been using netbooks/UMPCs/Palmtops (they think of a new name for small computing devices every year for a decade at least, and so far the Dell Mini 10 has exceeded all my needs/expectations (it's venturing on too large for my uses, but I think as long as they don't get much bigger, this is ok).

It does everything with the 1 GB of ram I could want: word processing, movie watching, TV, music, net surfing, reading PDFs (scientific journals, even ebooks), even limited Photoshop. Granted it won't be a Photoshop powerhouse, but I like to edit on a big screen anyway. The HD Screen is awesome for looking at photographs though. The build quality is way better than my EEE PC (it's one of the first ones). I think this thing could take some licks.

Reading how much people here hate the mini10 I was a bit afraid that it was going to be awful, and I've only had mine a week, which is not really enough time to really break it in, but so far I love it and haven't found one thing it cannot do to my satisfaction.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 01:53 PM

I pretty well agree with all of that. There's a ton of people putting down the Mini 10 but I love it, it does everything I expect of it, performance is great in XP, Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows 7.

Don't forget, it's a perfectly capable x86 compatible machine meaning it can do pretty well anything any machine can do, some things just take longer. Just for the hell of it I installed Microsoft Virtual PC and installed an XP Virtual Machine on it and it ran just fine. Lotus Notes AND a Domino server run just fine, Photoshop runs fine, they all do.

Look at the specs before you buy it, those specs are what you get and if they suit you a Mini 10 will suit you, there's nothing inherently broken about it.

« Replace 2.5" drive with SSD??? | Acronis OS Selector & Blue Screen of Death »