Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#11) Old
Default 12-09-2009, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mileslb56 View Post
When shopping the outlet, the 2nd Column; ITEM DETAILS, click the blue Service Tag number and a pop-up of the details will appear. In the LAPTOP SCREEN section, it will state "Touchscreen" if that unit has one.

You're welcome.
Thanks, but that's what I've been doing. I was just wondering if there was another way that didn't require me to open the details of each one individually.
  (#12) Old
Default 12-10-2009, 02:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that's the only way to check for the touchscreen. I just ordered mine last night and it seemed the touchscreens started appearing on page 3 in the 309.00 price range.
  (#13) Old
Default 12-12-2009, 04:54 PM

This past week I received both a dell mini 10v and a 2100 (ordered the 10v first, then found out about the 2100 which seemed to be better suited, decided i would just compare them and then just keep the one i liked better). I previously had a mini 9.

My intent was to install OS X (snow leopard) on them. The 2100, despite its similarities to the mini 9 and 10v, doesn't seem (for me) to run OS X nearly as well. It was difficult to install it, but I was able to work around display issues by connecting/disconnecting an external display, etc. However when running OS X the video driver doesn't quite seem to work- using the webcam works at only about 2 fps, and there are other anomalies like openGL not displaying in applications like Xbench (leading me to believe there is a similar underlying issue for both). Also, I guess because it hasn't gotten the attention of the other minis, there doesn't seem to be a way to get sleep to work (though it may be somewhere that I have missed). I also got a kernel panic every time i tried to install an OS update. And as cool as the touchscreen is, I'm not sure there are enough clever programmers with one to figure out how to calibrate it under OS X any time soon...

The 10v on the other hand seems to work as smoothly with OS X as my 9 did, except the trackpad makes me want to throw it out the window The trackpad on the 2100 is excellent in comparison.

Has anyone gotten everything to work smoothly (video, sleep, no kernel panics with the larger installers, etc) on the 2100?

« Windows 7 Brightness Control | Latitude 2100 Windows XP Touch Screen right click »