Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#1) Old
Default 2100 Modding - 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

I guess this is probably because there aren't as many "power users" out there with the new 2100 as there are with the mini 9s and 10/10vs, but there doesn't seem to be any talk about modding these netbooks. Hopefully that will change soon.

I'm planning on trying out an internal usb mod, so I can add a GPS receiver. The touch screen just begs for it. I haven't seen anything about it, so I guess I might be the first (for the latitude i mean). I've already ordered a USB GPS dongle which should get here within the next 2 weeks hopefully, but I can't experiment too much with it since I don't have another pc for now (long story)...

Anyway, to be brief, has anyone modded their Latitude 2100? I mean more than just opening it up to upgrade the ram/HD of course. Does anyone have any tips for when I do eventually open her up again?
  (#2) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Well, I haven't done any serious modding, but I do have a bit of advice for when you take it apart. Take a lot of photos as you disassemble it, and be careful to note how the cables coming from the display are routed. This includes the display cable itself, speaker cable, touchscreen cable, and wifi antenna cables. Rerouting these was a bit of a pain, as the cable channels at the display mount don't really hold the cables well. Make sure you are careful when you take apart the bottom case, starting from one of the back corners by the battery and pulling towards the front of the netbook, as this is the easiest way to get the pop tabs loose. There are two screws under the battery lip, close to where the battery is that hold the keyboard down. Once these are removed, use a bent paperclip to push the keyboard up so you can pry it out. Be careful of the ribbon cable. There are three screws under the keyboard itself that hold the bottom case on in addition to the four screws in the feet.

P.S: please post the parts list from your original order in the Latitude 2100 Part Number thread if you can. This will help future modders get spare parts that they can hack apart.

Inspiron E1505 (Silver/White)
Latitude 2100 (Blue Ribbon) w/Touchscreen and WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Want Ubuntu on your 2100? Get your sound and touchscreen working!
Tech blog: Broken Hive Mind
  (#3) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 09:23 PM

I've taken it apart (I already upped ram to 2gb and HD to 160gb), but I didn't take a real good look. I'll take pictures in a few days, and maybe If i'm feeling adventurous I'll fully disassemble and remove the motherboard. I don't have the slightest clue where I'm going to tap into for usb data, but I guess I'll have to figure it out. If anything, with pictures someone can help me . I'll post the parts list on the parts list thread.

EDIT: I was a little bored and decided to take it apart for the heck of it. At this point, it was pretty much just for pics, since I don't have an ounce of a clue what to tap into for anything, and while I'm experimental, I'm not THAT experimental (lol). I took a bunch more pics, so if there are any requests, let me know and I can post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0358.jpg   IMG_0375.jpg  
  (#4) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 12:24 AM

Where are the two screws to remove the keyboard
  (#5) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by richgnoe View Post
Where are the two screws to remove the keyboard
Take the battery out. You'll see them.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#6) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

hdd upgrade how to , RAM upgrade how to and putting the white spotlight out...
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

FWIW: Max RAM on the 2100 is 2.5GB...

« Opening Case | Buying a 6 Cell 2100 Battery »