Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Latitude 2100 updating the bios - Ubuntu - 10-02-2009, 06:26 AM

Has any one found the instructions on how to update the Bios if you are running Ubuntu using the latest Bios file on the Dell Support Site.
The file is a Windows executable but my Dell was shipped with Ubuntu.
I have seen another post on this site about booting the machine to a Windows 98 shell from a USB drive with the bios file stored to that drive and then running the file to update the bios.
I don't think Dell have thought this one through because Dell's instructions if you Select Ubuntu 9.04 as your OS are;

Installation Instructions
The file M2100A02.EXE is using the Hard Drive format and is designed to be directly executed from Windows environments.
Click Download now.
The File Download window appears.
Click the Save button.
The Save As window appears.
Select Desktop using the drop-down menu to the right of Save in.
Click the Save button.
A progress meter moves as the download is completed.
If necessary, click X in the upper right-hand corner of the Download Progress Window to close it upon completion.
NOTE: Shut down all other applications prior to running the BIOS update utility. The update utility reboots your system in order to get the new BIOS loaded.
Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled M2100A02.EXE.
The Dell Bios Flash window appears
Click the Continue button.
The message Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot. appears.
Click the OK button.
The system will restart and the Bios Flash will be completed.

Hmmm! If only they explained how to get to that Windows environment from you Linux machine.

bios update

« Bluetooth part number? | Lock touchscreen »