Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#21) Old

Default 03-08-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
At this point I am feeling that the screen size of the DUO is too small for the new Metro or touch interface. One issue is when you use the on-screen keyboard to type or handwrite it takes up too much real estate and you can't sometimes see what you are typing. Maybe this could be fixed if the screen would scoll up to the top of the on-screen keyboard as you typed. It would be nice if you could hear the click when you hit the letters or numbers like you can with the iphone (can be disabled). Also when you touch your typing to insert a letter your finger covers what you are trying to touch so you don't know if the cursor stuck or not. The iphone pops up a bubble and displays what you are touching above your finger. Cut and paste does not work with touch but does work with the DUO's keyboard. This is a demo and I don't expect evrything to work yet.
Windows 8 is also supposed to be for tablets like the Android based ones so I believe it will be fine, maybe there is some screen scaling to be messed with or that isn't included in the current build.
  (#22) Old

Default 03-09-2012, 02:55 PM

I installed Win8 CP last night, and set it up for dual-boot with Win7

I have a feelign the full-featured version of Win8 is going to be nice. It's amazingly responsive, and the touch screen is a joy to work with. The on-screen keyboard is excellent, too.

There are some interface issues with Win8 I struggled with as I'm not sure it's as intuitive as iOS or Android or even Windows 7, but I think I will like the overall setup and performance onec I get used to it. IE is blazing fast for me.

I used the instructions here:
How to Dual Boot Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Windows 7

Works fine...the duo asks me when I power it up which windows version I want to use.
  (#23) Old

Default 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny4 View Post
Which version of IE10 are you using? The one built into the Metro UI or the on on the desktop. They are completely different in the way they are layed out.
When I checked the one in Metro is IE 10 and the one on the desk top is IE 9. I think the problem is that the web sites I was having a problem with IE 10 required active x or other plug ins. I have since learned that IE 10 does not work with plug ins for security reasons.

I still did not feel that IE 10 worked any better with touch than IE 9. Hopefully Oprea Mini will come out with a version that will work better. I don't think IE 10 is going to change that much when the final version comes out.
  (#24) Old

Default 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM

I installed this the other day on my wife's duo and the on screen keyboard will not come up. Have any of you guys had this problem? If so did you fix it.
  (#25) Old

Default 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM

I recently wrote an article about installing Win 8 to help me with my gaming "chores." Pretty cool so far, runs great!

MMObility: Utilizing Windows 8 to help with MMO chores | Massively

Beau
  (#26) Old

Default No Touchscreen - 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM

I installed the consumer preview and here are the things not working... Touch Screen and usb ports. Any suggestions. I tried re installing all the win7 drivers that I was instructed on another site but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thought maybe the touchscreen was just switched off but could not find anything in the settings to change it.

Thanks

Last edited by kevinf5; 03-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
  (#27) Old

Default 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf5 View Post
I installed the consumer preview and here are the things not working... Touch Screen and usb ports. Any suggestions. I tried re installing all the win7 drivers that I was instructed on another site but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thought maybe the touchscreen was just switched off but could not find anything in the settings to change it.

Thanks
My suggestion is to take it off your laptop as it is full of bugs and is not designed to replace Win 7, just to give you a feel of what is being developed. There is no support from either Microsoft or Dell at this point. I took it off as there are no good apps yet and there is no point to taking time to figure out how to get things to work that may require the final version. I have never had any luck upgrading an operating system on a Windows machine in the past and I expect that Win 8 is designed for the next gen hardware which is not out yet. Sure it will run on the DUO but my guess is that there will be driver issues.

Last edited by 3dog; 03-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.
  (#28) Old

Default 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
My suggestion is to take it off your laptop as it is full of bugs and is not designed to replace Win 7, just to give you a feel of what is being developed. There is no support from either Microsoft or Dell at this point. I took it off as there are no good apps yet and there is no point to taking time to figure out how to get things to work that may require the final version. I have never had any luck upgrading an operating system on a Windows machine in the past and I expect that Win 8 is designed for the next gen hardware which is not out yet. Sure it will run on the DUO but my guess is that there will be driver issues.
I upgraded my Duo from the Win 7 version that came on it to the Win 8 CP and the only driver issues I have are the Bluetooth and the screen rotate sensor. I don't use Bluetooth but I bet their is a driver that would work to fix it. The rotate sensor is another story. I doubt that there is or will be a driver for it to work with Win 8 CP. Maybe the final version of Win 8 will have a functioning driver for it though.

Other then those two items my Duo works better and faster than it ever has!! No going back to Win 7 for me!!
  (#29) Old

Default 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Has anyone had the issue of the touchscreen not working though? Anyone suggest drivers that might make it or is there a setting that might be turned off?
  (#30) Old

Default 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM

WOW!

I only got my Dell Mini today, and I'm amazed with Windows 8.

Ignoring the screens viewing angles, the clarity is amazing thanks to the higher resolution.

Having a split screen view of Metro IE is very useful, as it does not fight for focus with my main desktop applications.

Need to sort my touchpad drivers out but otherwise, everything I need is working well.

« Windows 8 XBox Games-Pinball FX2-HydroThunder | Improving performance on the DUO »