Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old

Default 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenerdog View Post
I have it setup dual-boot Win7 & Win8. I kinda like it; the gestures take some learning, some apps seem to work it pretty hard, as the fan keeps coming on.

Well, I did have mine set up to dual boot but after doing a refresh it only boots in Windows 8. How did you set up dual boot?
  (#12) Old

Default 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM

I did a clean install of Win 8. I love it! I also have a Window Phone so it came pretty second nature to me. My Duo runs so much faster now and I am also getting better battery life. No going back for me. The music player is still laggy. I wish I could find a light weight music player that I like. Somebody already said it but this is the best OS for the Duo!
  (#13) Old

Default 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM

I removed the preview after spending hours trying but failing to configure the Consumer Preview to get some bug free functionality. I came to the conclusion that the DUO screen is too small and I would just go back to using the keyboard like I do with Win 7. I have an iphone and I like the apps and the ones I use the most use the GPS. The DUO has a triangulation thingie that did work with the weather apps in Windows 8 but it is not a true GPS and will not find your location if you are outside of wifi hotspots. I do think that Win 8 apps will work nicely on the DUO but without plugging in an external GPS like I do with Win 7 marine navigation programs, the Win 8 apps will have limited appeal to this consumer. Even if I had a Win 7 phone I wouldn't want to buy different apps for every platform. Apple solved this already by allowing you to use iphone apps on the ipad.

If the problem is having a device that runs apps and windows programs, as I want, then why don't the they just solve this with hardware. A device with a flip multi touch screen with a dual boot Win 7 and Win 7 phone os. A 13" Mac Air with a flip Ipad type screen with a dual boot for ipad and Mac os would work for me. Maybe they would need to have two processors or something, I don't know but either Microsoft or Apple could do this if they wanted to.

I am sure there will be millions that will go out and buy the new Win 8 with new hardware and I may upgrade my DUO when Win 8 comes out but I am not as excited as I was before I installed the preview.

Last edited by 3dog; 03-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.
  (#14) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM

3dog,

Word on the street is that you will be able to use most of your Windows Phone programs on Windows 8 and the other way around. When Windows Phone 8 launches this fall along with Windows 8 everything will be shared back and forth. Also, when using Skydrive all of your important things will be available on any Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices. There is even talk about games being saved to Skydrive so that when you go from one device to another your game will pickup where you left off. I know Apple has some similiar things coming and I'm not pushing anything to anyone. Every person needs to make their own choices based on their needs and comfort levels.

For me this was the best thing to happen to my Duo.
  (#15) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I do expect to see an improvement with the final release of Win 8 but I don't think it will go beyond running apps on the small screen of the DUO. The Apps will have to improve allot before I would be convinced to upgrade. For current windows software, developers would have to change their user front end before they would be useful in a touch environment. I don't see Win 8 changing that. I can see new apps that do the same thing that the old software did but you will have to pay to upgrade. Are you really going to do that if the old stuff keeps working with a keyboard?
Touch and handwriting capabilities will not improve all that much due to the limitation of the two finger capacitive touch screen on the DUO . The Ipad has the same problem. When using a stylus the screen gets confused when the side of your hand hits it. I did read somewhere that it is expected that the final release may improve that but I didn't see that in the Consumer Preview. My old heavy Gateway Tablet PCs were much better with handwriting but no finger touch as they had resistive screens and were heavy. One of the reasons I went with the DUO was the lighter weight but I had to compromise down from a 14" screen down to a 10. With the new ultrabooks out there is no need to compromise as they are lighter than the DUO with a larger screen. The Dell Ulltrabook is just under 3 lbs so all that is needed is some kind of a hybrid screen that would allow a much better touch experience. It does look like an ultrabook will be more expensive than the DUO was but I would pay more if I get more. I will wait as I want the touch screen on a laptop and the DUO is still the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by 3dog; 03-04-2012 at 08:02 PM.
  (#16) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM

I did not feel that Internet Explorer 10 was noticeably better than IE 9 in regards to using touch. In the past I tried Opera Mini which was really slick and fast and had a good on-screen keyboard. I was expecting IE10 would be that slick and fast but handle flash web sites. Aother problem with Opera Mini was that you had to exit to get to the other programs. IE 9 and 10 did not have that issue. Some of the sites I use with IE 9 did not display properly with IE10 out of the box. I felt like I was walking into a room still being painted.
  (#17) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Hello everybody, I install W8 on my duo and I m very happy. It works very well, I like the new virtual keyboqrd, and ie 10 is very faster. I just have some problem with the accelerator sensor but I don t really need it.
  (#18) Old

Default 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

3dog,

So far my Duo replacement is looking to be the Lenovo IdeaPad YOGA.

Check it out > New Products from Lenovo - Tablets - Laptops- Desktops - New Technologies (US)

I'm sure there will be a lot more Laptop/Tablet solutions once Win8 actually launches this fall.
  (#19) Old

Default 03-05-2012, 10:28 PM

The Lenovo IdeaPad YOGA's specs and est price look good with good screen size, light weight, better battery, SSD and GPS but it will be twice the price I paid for my DUO. Not sure if I will go with new hardward until I see what apps come out and if software developers change their programs to work better with touch. Thinking I will just upgrade the DUO and watch things unfold.

Hoping Apple will go in the direction that Microsoft is going in but there is no hint that they will ever combine an Ipad like screen on something like a Mac Air. I would spring for that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by 3dog; 03-08-2012 at 05:27 PM.
  (#20) Old

Default 03-08-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
I did not feel that Internet Explorer 10 was noticeably better than IE 9 in regards to using touch. In the past I tried Opera Mini which was really slick and fast and had a good on-screen keyboard. I was expecting IE10 would be that slick and fast but handle flash web sites. Aother problem with Opera Mini was that you had to exit to get to the other programs. IE 9 and 10 did not have that issue. Some of the sites I use with IE 9 did not display properly with IE10 out of the box. I felt like I was walking into a room still being painted.
Which version of IE10 are you using? The one built into the Metro UI or the on on the desktop. They are completely different in the way they are layed out.

« Windows 8 XBox Games-Pinball FX2-HydroThunder | Improving performance on the DUO »