Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Bad Tech Support - 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM

I was reading a few threads and noticed an issue that drives me ape-sh#$!...

Bad Tech Support.

Places like Best Buy, Office Max, etc. - the box stores - claim to provide tech support and claim to offer sound advice on computer hardware and software, but the truth is these wonks just want to sell. It's all about commission.

Roughly 95% of the time these folks are about as tech savvy as the average high-school kid. Many are just out of school - maybe in college, maybe not - but most barely qualify as dabblers.

For example - you can load Office 2003 and 2010 at the same time on any Windows 7 build, even Starter. It takes just a little bit of savvy, but it does NOT take an expensive Windows upgrade.

Another example is the "Backup Disk" that these places offer - Windows will walk anyone through the steps to make a backup for free, and in fact the Windows alerts will prompt users to do it.

Sure, this is a bit of a rant, but there is a point to it.

If the first thing someone offers when you ask for a little help is to sell you something, walk the other way. Yes, sometimes an add-on or upgrade is really what you need, but often it isn't. Even if it is, there are ways to save money at every turn. The new and the shiny is rarely the way you HAVE to go.

Trust me - I provide the hardware and software support to the business services division of a DOE national laboratory, a total of almost 300 staff, and over 500 desktop and laptop systems. I'm spending maybe 20% of what my predecessor spent on repairs and fixes and the only real difference is that hiring me meant that we stopped using a parts seller for repairs.

Anyone have some Good Tech Support experiences worth sharing?

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#2) Old
Default 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM

My best tech support experiences involve using Google to solve my problems XD

Also, I once applied for a job at bestbuy in the Geek Squad. They didn't hire me, and I asked the manager why, and he said it was because I knew too much about fixing computers.. They have to hire sales people, not people who know that they are ripping people off :/ (his words haha)
  (#3) Old
Default 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM

I second the Google, find forum and fix it yourself method. Much less painful.
The little I know about computing comes from this approach (thank you Call for Help back in the day!) and has (so far) kept me away from 'professional' services.

A good rant every once and a while keeps the sound of mind sane.
  (#4) Old
Default 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM

I've been very happy with most of my tech support AS LONG AS I am willing to wait on hold. Once I get through, especially with Dell, they seem very helpful. Sometimes they seem a little too helpful. They happily send me a disk or something and it makes me ask "Why didn't you send those in the first place??" lol

« Touchscreen Problems | BIOS problems »