Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old
Default 11-05-2011, 01:48 PM

It's a feature...
  (#12) Old
Default 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

I really have not seen the issues with the screen that others are reporting. Yes, in dark areas or black it seems to have the most issue, but otherwise it seems to work fine.

If I share a vid with my wife, for example, she might have to tilt it a bit to her side to see it, but otherwise I love it. It does get some fingerprints on it, though!

(#13) Old
Default 11-10-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by monakh View Post
Alright, I am a high-tech aficionado and I love me an IPS screen but this is not a high-end device so I expected very little of my Duo when it came in today. Threw in my Intel G2 SSD, installed Windows 8, and off I went (excitedly, I might add)...only to be overwhelmed by the horrid viewing angles of the screen while I was using the Duo as a tablet. We are talking real sucky, "move half an inch and the grey on-screen keyboard buttons lose their luster" sucky. What gives!?

Am I the only one who sees this? Ran a search and no one else is complaining here though the results are a bit more mixed on the inter-web. And I am not that picky about my screens. TN-based LCD panels have been working fine for me for years.

By the way, since this was a clean install via USB (took 15 minutes), I have no complaints about the performance. Win8 simply flies on the SSD. Boot time is literally 10 seconds. Windows found all relevant drivers except BT and the STM rotation sensor. Everything works out of the box except the auto-rotation which doesn't appear to work even after a forced Win7 driver update from Dell.

Feel free to ask any questions but do respond to my own! Thanks!

100% agree. It is actually so bad that I find it is unusable as tablet. To get the viewing angle right I have to physically hold the tablet, which is obviously annoying/and/or uncomfortable due to the weight of the device. Therefore I only use it with keyboard out to prop up the screen.

It was something they shouldnt have skimped on. I would rather have paid 100 more and got a better screen. I doubt it would even have needed to cost that much.

« Some comments about tweaks for the Duo | 3rd party drivers? »