Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Default Help - mouse is disabled! - 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM

My mouse has suddenly stopped working. Touchscreen still works.

I think it might have happened after doing some windows updates.

Anyone got any idea what might have happened or a simple way to fix it?

It is still within warranty so can get it replaced if necessary.

---------- Post added 08-16-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-15-2011 at 11:46 PM ----------

It seems my 18month old daughter had pressed F3! - you should try it sometime.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-16-2011, 02:29 AM

This happened to me several times on the DUO. Somehow the touch pad gets disabled and you have to enable it again. Go into to the Synaptics Pointing Device Properties and select the tab marked Device Settings. If it is disabled hit the Enable button and save and exit. It is a little funky trying to fix this using touch and try using a usb mouse. I can remote in using my Iphone and I have fixed mine that way as it worked better than trying to navigate windows to fix this one. I think you are right about the updates causing this and this happened on my old xp laptop several times also. I have both a Vista and a XP Tablet PC that was messed up so bad that I have to use an external mouse on the Vista. The pen input still works. I turned off the auto updates as I spent too much time fixing it after the updates. It may be something to do with a Synaptics touch pad as the other two laptops had the same brand. I blame Microsoft for not testing properly and not Dell for this issue.

Last edited by 3dog; 08-16-2011 at 03:23 PM.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM

This might seem silly, but make sure its not just from pressing the touchpad toggle key. F3 will turn on/off the touchpad.

« Audio Station cutting ou... | Touchscreen Games and Apps »