Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Default How much do you use the Duo as a tablet? - 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Just curious as to how much people are actually using the DUO in tablet mode.

I have been using my duo a lot recently, but i find i am nearly never using it as a flat tablet. There is probably a few reasons for this:

Screen quality/ viewing angles - I find that the viewing angles aren't great on the duo screen. Therefore you need to prop it up somehow - why cup it in my hands when with the keyboard out i can just sit it on my lap/ armchair. \i have never used another tablet so have no idea how the screens of ipads etc compare in this regard.

weight - same thing really , because of the weight it is nicer to have the screen propped up in some way.

I am still using the touch a lot - i think it is a nicer web browsing experience,and I have a few games now like plants vs zombies that work best with touch. But in contrast to the common tech consensus I am happy to use touch on a "vertical" screen. It is barely any different for you hand/wrist on a computer of this size.

I personally think I will only use it in tablet mode when it is stationed in its dock.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I'm only a couple of weeks into Duo ownership but I'm finding the biggest thing working against using it as a tablet is the keyboard. I use Swype on my Android phone & going back to hunt & peck on the Duo makes any keyboard intensive activity a none starter. I'd love to use the tablet more but that's not going to happen until someone gives us a more user friendlt touch keyboard.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-02-2011, 02:15 AM

I use it as a tablet in airports when I travel (so about 1-2 times every 3 months). This is actually why I bought it. I found that I wanted a netbook in my hotel and onsite while working, but that browsing in the airport (without a table to sit at) was just inconvenient. I can surf the net or play games while waiting out the delays.

It would probably be good in the car too.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via MSN to Lostinthemist Send a message via Skype™ to Lostinthemist
Default 07-06-2011, 08:51 PM

I've been finding that its just neet to use when I'm oragnizing files. I wish the tough keybored was better but hey. what are you gonna do right? I've also used the tablet to watch movies, fine to me.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM

I have been using mine in tablet mode about 50% of the time. It is handy to use it in tablet mode to study for certification tests and other things that do not require a lot of textual input. I would like to have a better on screen keyboard or something like Swype for Windows 7. Now that I have a good Stylus-R-US stylus for it I am going to try to get used to using the hand writing recognition for input. I use it at work to take notes and keep track of to-do-list items since the Duo is much easier to carry around than either of the laptops I have a work. The Duo has replaced my paper day planner almost completely.

Inspiron Mini 1012, 2GB RAM, T-Mobile Wireless Broadband, 1366 x 768 screen upgrade
Inspiron Duo, Office Pro 2010, openSuSE 12.1 64bit

« Audio Station | Duo Deck doesn't Run iTunes »