Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Question Dell Duo as Touchscreen Jukebox ??? - 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Hello all, I am new to this forum, have spent quite some time reading the many threads.

I am from Australia and am contemplating purchasing this Inspiron Duo with the Docking station. Its not sold here locally so I would have to import or purchase from Ebay.

My aim is to cradle the Duo to the docking station and use the 3.5mm rear external audio out port to feed a pair of standalone powered speakers. Audioengine A5's. Am I correct in assuming this is feasable?

My second question more importantly is as follows:
I have no experience with netbooks so therefore I cant determine whether or not the CPU on this Duo has the grunt for what I require.
My aim is to drop approx 100 gig of correctly tagged MP3's onto the HDD and using Windows Media Center for playback. I prefer Windows Media Center over all other software I have tried. I select Music, then Sort by ALBUM ARTIST. For me it is simply unbeatable. I currently use a Dell Studio 1555 Laptop for this music playback and find it has quite enough power to do this.
My worry is that the Netbook CPU might struggle.

Can someone please comment hopefully with experience on this as I am struggling to find the answers I need.
Thanks in advance for any replies and keep up the good work on this forum all.

Last edited by robnkel; 06-13-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
  (#2) Old
Default Twaek - 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM

The Dell Duo should and could do what you want it to do but I would recommend an SSD drive (I know, I know, they cost the earth). Why? Well.. the machine will have it's main bottleneck removed...

Quick Tweaking guide

The above ENSURES that you get the most performance out of the Duo.

If you don't fancy an SSD, I'd still go for a few tweaks here and there.
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-13-2011, 11:18 PM

The Duo, docked into the Audio Station is intended to do that very kind of thing!

There is no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.
I don't know how much in the way of performance enhancements you'd need to play MP3 music files.
The Duo could do this with one core tied behind its back!

Playing music is no big deal in any way and has about zero potential to be bottlenecked by anything on a netbook or older PC or laptop going back quite a ways.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old
Default 06-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Thanks guys for your comments.
I know the actual playing of an MP3 is not a resource issue but I have found that the larger the library, the caching of folder art etc can cause some cpu lockups from time to time.
  (#5) Old
Default 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Hey, iPods are meant to play music but can stutter in the middle of a song which can prove quite embarrassing to some (My girlfriend in an audition).

Indexing/defrag/anti-virus/random service kicks in when playing music and thrashes the hard drive
  (#6) Old
Default 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Actually I run virtual dj pro 7 with the usb DJ RMX controller from Hercules
on my duo. playing MP3 and even MP4 with HD-video without any hick-ups.
Allthough I must admit using a 120Gb SSD..

« just a couple of questions guys! :) | Touch friendly email »