Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Default Windows Boot Manager Issue-New Dell on the way - 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM

We've had the Dell for less than a week. I bought Thinix and installed and have done no other modifications.

This morning, upon boot-up, the DOS screen of Windows Boot Manager appears and informs me that Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: Insert Windows Disc, click "repair your computer"

Of course, with no disc, I contacted Dell support.

After 90 min. with Dell support, they could not diagnose and decided it's a hardware issue and they are building a brand new Dell that I should have in about three weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first Dell purchase and now I'm concerned. Probably just recieved a dud, but now I'm a little gunshy and wonder if I shuld have returned this to Dell and demanded money back.

Any thoughts? Anyone else go through something like this? Like I said, my first time purchasing directly from Dell.

(#2) Old
Default 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM

It happens. I haven't had this with my Duo, but, I manage hardware resources for my division at work, where we use Dell extensively (we have about 600 units under my care, and about 10x that many lab wide). The advantage that gives me is that I KNOW that their fail rate is as low as any manufacturer out there - ALL hardware has a fail rate, unfortunately.

That being said, the error you are getting may not be hardware related, but rather may be driver related. You may have already tried this, but you may wish to try another reboot or two. If it will start, do a restore back to prior to your last software install, and see if that solves the issue.

Also, you can set up a bootable recovery 'disk' on a USB stick for future use.

If it won't reboot, then definately let Dell fix it - they will, and you'll all but certainly have a great experience.

Before working where I do now I avoided Dell, honestly - but after watching hundreds of systems functioning day in and out, I was convinced that overall their a good choice

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#3) Old
Default 04-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the post. I was along the same lines as a software issue, but will report later when I have the new machine.

Was slightly concerned when they told me I have no software warranty, but do have hardware warranty. I was glad they called this a hardware issue.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM

I hope everything works out for you.

I have to agree with Sleeping_Panda. I've had many dells over the years, and they all had excellent service with me, and continue to do so for the people who I sold them too as I upgraded!

Sometimes you just have to get past that first rough one and then the second one is a "lifer" for sure.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast

« reducing cpu usage temporarily | Quick Tweaking guide »