Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Default Screen too glary causing eye-ache - 04-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Got duo 3 days back and i always feel eye ache after using it. May be because of the screen which is too glossy and glary. Does any one feels that same? If i go for some anti-glare sticker, will it degrade the touch performance?
  (#2) Old
Default 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM

You could try an ipad screen protector if you worried about touch preformance. I am waiting for my favorite screen protector manufacturers like Skinomi and Invisible Shield which make great touch polyurethane protectors. They are practically impossible to scratch.

My Dell Duo Tips Blog:
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#3) Old
Default 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM

I have the same issue. It is really bad - Are you sure it is glare related, I am thinking it has something to do with the refresh rate.
  (#4) Old
Default 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM

The refresh rate is set by default to 60hz, the same as your desktop monitor - the more likely culprits are a) screen brightness (which can be adjusted under the power management tab in Win7's control panel), and b) adjusting to the viewing distance/angle/size of the small monitor.

Anti-glare screen protectors work by dimming light from the monitor and reflected by the monitor from other sources - both of these issues are already under your control with the brightness adjustment and how you hold the machine - for example - if the monitor is actually too DIM and you are needing to sit under a lamp, that may be the source of your glare issues so turn the brightness up :-)

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#5) Old
Default 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Bit late but thought I'd add that there's lots of screen-protectors for it on eBay now (including "anti-glare") - I got one of these and the screen no longer acts like a mirror and now has a matte effect, quite an improvement for me, much better than glossy and doesn't scratch.

There are some very cheap but if you want a good quality one that doesn't scratch and is easy to apply then you'll probably have to spend ~15.

eye strain, glossy screen

« Dell audio frame mode | External Display with Inspiron Duo »