Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Dual Boot Android Guide - 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Hello All,

I hope this guide will be useful for those wanting Android on their tablet. About 85% of the functions I wanted is working. This build is base on nightly release 03/05/2011from x86-android.org. This guide will be edited as I find better tweak and improvement.

Tools and software used:
Windows 7, Acronic True Backup 2011, X86 Android Build 03/05/2011, 8GB USB Stick, UNetbootIn, HTC EVO rooted CynogenMod 6.1.2 Froyo 2.2, very important - Android Titanium Backup full license (for speedy migrating of appz on Android phone to Dell Duo.

Goal:
1) A fully working android tablet to complement Windows 7 side of the Dell Duo
2) Android platform that mirror apps usable between my Sprint Evo and Dell Duo

Accomplishment:
1) 85% from goal 1
a- When not using Windows 7, Android provide the speed and power for light usage.
b) I found out that Android on the Duo is allot more powerful than any Android tablet currently out in the market.
c) Intel Atom processor dual cores at 1.5GHZ is faster than any ARM processor, including Nvidia Tegra or Smasung Orion, taken account the conversion process from x86 to native ARM.
d) Android is able to use the full two GB of ram on the Duo.
e) User can define the storage capacity on the Duo. (as large or as little as the user wants)
f) User can upgrade to SSD for faster over all performance system. (Already tested - had a OCZ Vertex 2 installed but currently using Seagate XT harddrive for space)
2) 75% from goal 2
a) I am a mobile user and like to have apps that I can both use on my phone and Duo

Achievable on the Android Duo: will list what I think is important to me
1) Developer from x86 android.org made a very stable nightly built as base
2) Using Android Market 1.86 apk will not crash but will also able to download and installed appz on the the Duo. (not all appz will show up - work in progress - was able to get full market access a couple of times)
3) 85% of Gapps working on the Dell Duo
4) Able to text message using Google voice and receive voice mails from caller on the Duo.
5) Improve performance for display. FPS, touch, video playback(youtube player) improvement

Important functions: - not yet working
1) Auto rotate - software dependent will sometime rotate to portrait mode
2) Blue tooth
3) VOIP appz - so far none of the SIP app are working to make free calls using Google Voice.

Now for the Guide:

Getting Android on Dell Duo-using any Windows PC
1) Go to x86-android.org and download the latest nightly iso. It should be the sparta iso, not the usb iso. http://android-x86.moonman.dk/index.php?folder=c3BhcnRh
2) Go to unetbootin and download the software. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
3) Use unetbootin to transfer the iso to the usb drive. Since the iso is already bootable, this will also make the usb drive bootable.
4) Take the usb drive and plug it into the Dell Duo.
5) Power on the Duo and press F12 at the bios screen will bring up the drive selection.
6) Select to boot from the usb drive.
7) The Linux menu should show up. Run a live boot first to make sure the transfer of the iso is ok.
8) After the live testing, the next step is to install android onto the hard drive.
9) IMPORTANT step: Please follow the rest of the android installation guide from x86-android.org (The website install guide is more detail and picture, very useful for first timer.) http://www.android-x86.org/documents/installhowto
a) This is where I let the user use whatever methods or tools to create the partition.
b) I recommend 3GB of space allocated, but 512MB is sufficient. Most android phones come with a 512MB Rom. Why the recommended 3GB? During installation, you can create a fake SDCard up to 2GB. That would leave one gigabyte for the internal rom. I prefer to use a usb drive as my external storage and be able to transfer files between OSes.
10) After completing installing android, it needs to be tweaked a little.
11) First, android will some time goes to sleep and would not wake backup properly. The default sleep time is 30 seconds. I put mine at 30 minutes.
12) Next we need a way to navigate on android just using touch. We going to install a software menu. The hardware key for back is ESC, home is Windows Home key, and the menu is Menu key (next to the right ctrl key). http://www.mediafire.com/?0dz4td81i58xnqw (android may asked to do additional step)
a) I recommend to place the menu on the left hand-side of the screen. Out of other functions way.
13) We needs to enable the soft keyboard. It was disable by default in the nightly build or it was a bug. Goes to setting, then input and keyboard, then builtin keyboard, and then uncheck enable softkeyboard. The software keyboard should be working now.
14) This conclude our installation of android onto the Dell Duo. Next step to install gapps and performance tweaks.

With rooted Android phone-the quick way
1) If you have an Android 2.2 phone, rooted, Titanium Backup, fully license - this will be the easiest and fastest way. Most of your setting on the phone will be also on the Android Duo.
2) Download and update all the apps from the Android market that you want to have on the Dell Duo.
a) Also download ESExplorer android app. It will be use later on the tweak stage.
3) Use Titanium to backup all the apps and system data.
4) Next we needs extract the backup from the phone to a usb drive.
5) Connect the phone as a mass storage device to a Windows PC.
6) Transfer the folder "TitaniumBackup" and Titanium license ( can be found at the rooted level) to the usb drive.
7) Download the Titanium.apk from here and put it onto the usb drive http://www.mediafire.com/?drh7a3374l2bc5x
8) Boot the Duo into android mode and plug in the usb drive.
9) Install the Titanium.apk onto the android. Make sure the license key is at the root of the usb drive.
10) We are now ready to restore the backup onto the Android Duo.
11) Please use the restore option "restore missing apps with data".
12) Once the restore is done. Most of the setting for the apps should be restore, like it should be on the phone.
13) Any apps working on the Android Duo will be restore and the one that does not work will not be install. No need to worry about all the apps completely transfer.
14) Most important are the Google apps, they should have been restored onto the Duo. (Gmail, Maps, Market, Facebook, etc, and underling system apps.)
15) It is necessary to register or log into the Googles apps. All the apps should be functioning without force close except for the Market.
16) Now download Market v.1.86 apk from here. http://www.mediafire.com/?m8uzby5fe5zwacc
17) Uninstall the current Market from Android Duo and install the one that was just downloaded.
18) Open and register Market. You should now be able download and install any available apps without crashing. Remember! The Market will only show a limited number of apps. I am still trying to get full market access. This is still work in progress.
19) Now test the rest of the apps for compatibility and enjoy.

Installing Gapps with out Android phone:
1) Go to Cyanogenmod wiki and download the 6.0 HDPI gapps.zip. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...Latest_Version
2) Extract all the apks to the flash drive.
3) Boot the Duo into android mode.
4) Install all the apks. Some will fail to install, but that is ok.
5) Now register or log in to Gmail, Voice, Market, and etc.
6) Enjoy!!!!!

Performance Tweak Guide:
IMPORTANT: Please backup the Android partition just incase you are not happy with this part of the guide.

1)What to expect? This simple tweak will reduce the resolution and enable (some kind of) hardware acceleration for the GUI (confirm hardware acceleration). Better touch experience (bigger icons and menus), lag reduction, speed, better screen transition effect, smooth youtube playback..........
2) What are we doing to achieve such fascination and miracle act: We are going to replace the sparta system build prop with the one from Cyanogenmod 6.1.2. for the HTC Evo. Yep...scary. That is why I asked to backup your android partition before doing this guide.
3) Let get go on with the show.
4) Download the cyanogen build prop from here onto the usb drive. http://www.mediafire.com/?b18sxmoazeclp4a
a) Make a backup copy of the sparta build.prop in /system just in case you not happy with the tweak
5) Use ESeplorer to replace the build.prop in system/ of android.
6) Reboot and enjoy.

My thought about build.prop:
GUI acceleration and Youtube HD playback was an accident when I drop the cyanogen build.prop on to the sparta build. I did a few test to confirm. Cyanogen build 6.0 and Sparta build does not have hardware scripting, but cyanogen build 7.0RC2 does. I had email x86-android.org to see if they can check it out for me.

To x86-android.org-

"I did the craziest thing trying to get full access to the android market. I took the built.prop from cyanogenmod 7.0 rc2 htc evo and drop it into the the sparta built. As soon as sparta reboot, I notice everything on my screen gotten bigger and the gui was allot smoother. So was youtube playback. I can now play youtube clip at HD quality siky smooth.

Anyway, I though it was the reduction in resolution help all of this.
But to double check, I restore the sparta build.prop and change the dpi to 240 like cyanogen. All the icon was bigger, but the transition effect and youtube playback lag big time.

I notices that cyanogen build.pro have some kind of hardware scripting for the display but just couldn't not figure it out. Is there anyway to check it out for me. It may help with the sparta build somehow.

Also I notice I have more apps in the market now, but still can not access all of them."

Currently I am testing build.prop(s) from other cyanogen rom to get full market access. It was a hit and miss things. Some time I would have full market access, but on the next boot it get reset.

The guide is complete...for now.

Youtube video taken down for the moment.

Last edited by minhgi; 03-11-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: finishing
  (#2) Old

Default 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Where you get the apk for the Android Market?
  (#3) Old

Default 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM

^^ Doesn't it just give a message saying it's not a certified Android device when you try to install the Market?
  (#4) Old

Default 03-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jay View Post
Where you get the apk for the Android Market?
you can get it from Cyanogen mod 6.0 which is the froyo 2.2. There is a zip which contain all the gapps including market.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJaWa View Post
^^ Doesn't it just give a message saying it's not a certified Android device when you try to install the Market?
No...it just give a description of the what the permission require for the apps.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Have got the gapps zip folder from the Cyanogen mod 6.0 but can only see a marketupdater.apk.

Can install this but its not the market.

You have a nice looking Android but the guide does not say what to do when you have the base installed.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Have got the gapps zip folder from the Cyanogen mod 6.0 but can only see a marketupdater.apk.

Can install this but its not the market.

You have a nice looking Android but the guide does not say what to do when you have the base installed.
Is there by the name vending.apk. Could have called it market.apk.
marketupdater.apk should also be install.

Sorry...I work full time and go to school part-time. The guide is incomplete at this time.
  (#7) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Have installed vending.apk but when trying market nothing happens.

Also you know how to make windows the default in the boot?
  (#8) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM

How do I access the flash drive from within Android to install the apk's/ titanium backup? And any word on getting Honeycomb?
  (#9) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Have installed vending.apk but when trying market nothing happens.

Also you know how to make windows the default in the boot?
Can you tell me what it does? Like errors.

You can try to clear out the cache and force close in the application manager. Also do the same for google system framework. Reboot.

Make sure to install all the google and system apps. What version of sparta are you using.

About the the grub, I am not to sure about it. There are guides out there when I google it. Use the search "how to make windows boot first in grub"

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpaceco View Post
How do I access the flash drive from within Android to install the apk's/ titanium backup? And any word on getting Honeycomb?
Did you create a fake sdcard at start? If you did, android would not allow you to use the flash drive.

You have to install android without creating one. Android should automatically detect and use the flash drive as the sdcard(micro sdcard).
  (#10) Old

Default 03-15-2011, 02:28 AM

Great, thanks. And thanks for the guide.

« Duo docking station Audio issue query | New Owner, only three stage icons? »