Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#21) Old
Default 05-23-2011, 07:55 AM

To get all market apps try this guide: www*youtube*com/watch?v=r2YcJdxJ24U

(#22) Old
Default 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by mngl1500 View Post
OK here is what I have found from my playing around and installing 2.2 on my Duo.

I wanted to keep Win 7 and my other partitions (the recovery and utility) so I followed the same instructions and used the same program over in the mutliboot to add OSX. I made a 20 gig partition. Yes this is over kill but it is also big enough for me to install Linux onto latter if I want to instead of driod 2.2

do a live boot of the driod from the usb drive to make sure everything seems ok then actually install driod 2.2

I told the installer to make the fake sdcard of the max size it could. I then used a 1 gig usb flash drive with it and it worked fine also so I could get new apks installed using it.

Like others I wanted Win 7 to boot first from grub. This is very easy to fix. Download a live linux distro that will allow you to use it from a usb drive. I used the Ubuntu 10.x netbook remix since I sort of wanted to play with that anyways.

You need to know what partition you install andriod 2.2 on since this is also where grub got installed. For me I installed andriod on partition 4.

open a terminal session
mount the partition you installed andriod on
the command I used was (sudo lets you run commands as root which with the ubuntu live cd you need to do since you can not just su root):
sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
we then need to make a backup just in case of the grub menu file
cd /mnt/grub
sudo cp menu.lst menu.bak

We then need to edit the menu file
sudo vi menu.lst
change the default boot from 0 to 2 (my menu order on the grub screen was andriod , andriod debug, win 7)since it starts at 0 that would make win 7 2)
save the file
to unmount the partition and reboot
cd /
sudo unmount /mnt
sudo shutdown -r now
Can you explain more about the terminal session? I am kinda clueless on this step...

Last edited by Austinmch; 06-19-2011 at 03:47 AM.
  (#23) Old
Default 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM

looks like the nightly builds are no longer accessible
so the latest available for download is the stable from
january the 13th
  (#24) Old
Default I would like to have my Android-x86 BUT... - 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM

I've done this but I just simplely removed because almost no software support's ANDROID-X86

Try to install MERIDIAN for exemple or even OPERA doesn't work. So I GAVE UP, MAYBE ON THE FUTURE.

(#25) Old
Default 07-21-2011, 07:19 PM

i have a problem when android goes to sleep, i cannot wake it up.
it needs a hard reboot
  (#26) Old
Default unable to replace boot prop - 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM

its a great guide buddy but i found most of the apps are not working & most importantly i am unable to replace boot prop using es explorer or any other file explorer... it says boot prop copy failed or boot prop cannot be moved.
plz help
in ne ways its a great job ...

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

and how do i change the dpi???
  (#27) Old
Default 08-19-2011, 10:53 PM

I have two problems:

WHen running android, my Dell DUO will not recognize my USB flash drive. Is there any way to change that? It is anoying to have to switch to Windows to copy files to an external storage.

Second, Gmail is not working. Any suggestions? It says that the device is not configure to sync automatically. I look at the settings and cannot change it.
  (#28) Old
Default 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM

Total newbie here:
I am able to install this to my USB drive using 2 usb sticks. Ran from one, installed to the other. I am afraid to install it my hardrive as I am unsure which is the drive/partition that I DID create (3gb and named it android).
On the Android-x86 site (install part) the images shows sda1-Linux, sda2- Linux (etc) where mine shows some other things but does not show 3gb or "android".
How do I know which one is my (newly partitioned) 3gb drive?
  (#29) Old
Default 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM

This is a question for those of you who have this working for them.

How is the battery life?

Does it last longer than the standard 3 hours in windows?

(#30) Old
Default 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM

The battery life when using android is horrible, you'll maybe get 30min. This is a cool novelty but not practical at this time.

« Duo docking station Audio issue query | New Owner, only three stage icons? »