Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Taking notes on the Inspiron Duo - Help - 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Hi

Am thinking of getting one of these in the next few days but was wondering, how easy is it to say go to meetings in work and scribble notes down on the screen?

I dont mind buying a stylus to do this, but is there software to capture notes?

Jamie
  (#2) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jay View Post
Hi

Am thinking of getting one of these in the next few days but was wondering, how easy is it to say go to meetings in work and scribble notes down on the screen?

I dont mind buying a stylus to do this, but is there software to capture notes?

Jamie
Hi Jamie

I haven't looked for this kind of software exactly, though there is a post-it note app that forms part of windows I think that does this. PAttern recognition tech has come a long way, but it is far from perfect in my opinion. The keyboard entry system does have a scribble pad mode as well, though my brief plays with it have yielded some unusual results! Mind you, my hand writing is hopeless!

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#3) Old

Default 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

I haven't tried it myself but apparently Microsoft Onenote is pretty good for that sort of thing. I'm looking to get a stylus at some point and will try this out.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Oddly enough, I was watching an Ashens YouTube video of a cheap Win7 tablet and caught a tip about a program called "InkSeine" that MS apparently developed along with OneNote.

I haven't used it yet, but I hope to on my Duo. (Ordering one this weekend)

InkSeine from Microsoft Research

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM

I've tried both OneNote and InkSeine on the Duo, was not impressed by either one. However, I think the real issue may be the stylus. It's very difficult to get any legible writing. What I have now is the one from BoxWave, going to try the Acase one when it gets here. Also open to any suggestions??
  (#6) Old

Default 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM

I had the same thoughts and bought a Targus stylus, I just used the built in Windows Journal. The Targus Stylus is meant for the iPad (capacitive touch) and is NOT very accurate! Ther eare other styli out there that are expensive, and I'm not willing right now to part with the $$ to check them out.
I have an HP Elitebook tablet that I use Inkseine on and it works great!!! I would love to get that on the Duo!

Dell Duo - replaced a Dell Mini 9
  (#7) Old

Default 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Inkseine is there for the duo, have that installed.

Also find that Evernote pen is good.

Have the Boxwave stylus but agree its not great, although managable.
  (#8) Old

Default 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to suggest a good inking pdf annotation program and a good capacitive stylus. I purchased my Duo last week for business; I'm a real estate agent and wanted to use the duo as a way to sign contracts. The contracts program I use allows me to save them as a pdf, albeit as a secured pdf. The best program I have found so far is an open source one called Jarnal PDF Annotator. It allows me to open the secured pdf as a background image and write directly on it. The only issue I'm having with that program is that it saves the pdf with signatures as a very big file; it turns a 400k file into a 4mb file. Are there any programs that do the same thing w/o making the file so big?

As for the stylus, does anyone know of a stylus that is good for writing, particularly for signing? I purchased the Targus one today and it's worse than my finger for what I need it for. Thanks in advance.
  (#9) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 03-09-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Dub View Post
As for the stylus, does anyone know of a stylus that is good for writing, particularly for signing? I purchased the Targus one today and it's worse than my finger for what I need it for. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I can't recommend a good stylus, but I will stear you away from a couple of bad ones I've tried. Both the Boxwave and the Acer are exactly alike and not any better than my finger. I sure wish someone would come up with one that actually works.
  (#10) Old

Default 03-09-2011, 01:39 PM

I have been thinking about the O-stylus, Though I will probably build my own version of it in the next few months

oStylus - Capacitive Drawing Stylus

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery

« Help with Duo after clean Win 7 install | Windows On Screen Keyboard Replacement? »