Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#21) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousiefer View Post
So, in the YouTube video (or maybe in the comments about the video on YouTube) it is mentioned that the Dell drive is mysteriously smaller. I used a Crucial SSD just like in the video. It is 3.5 inch but it does not bulge in the case. I got the 128 gig Crucial.

I talked to a Crucial tech and he said all 2.5 inch drives have a slightly different connector than the 3.5 inch drives so you cannot use a 2.5 inch drive. It appears that Dell got a special configuration manufactured.

Anyway, the Crucial 3.5 fits in mine with no bulging.

Lou
@lousiefer...where did you get your Crucial? Thanks.
  (#22) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerk View Post
@lousiefer...where did you get your Crucial? Thanks.
I got it at Macmall.com.
I used a complex formula of lowest price as it related to highest # of earned airlines miles.
MacMall | Crucial Technology 128GB RealSSD C300 2.5" with Data Transfer Kit CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA

There is a model that is $5 cheaper here, but I think the software and the sata transfer cable are more than worth $5.
  (#23) Old

Default 05-11-2011, 01:30 AM

I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron Duo with a SSD and found two that took my interest:

1. Amazon.com: Corsair 128 GB Nova Series TRIM Supported 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-V128GB2-BRKT

2. Amazon.com: Kingston SSDNow V100 128GB SATA II 3GB/s 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive SV100S2/128GZ

Any opinions on which one I should go for?

P.S. Sorry I couldn't post links, need 3 posts or more to do so.
  (#24) Old

Default 05-11-2011, 08:27 AM

look at the dimensions.
you need a low profile like the intel x25m without the plastic cover
  (#25) Old

Default 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Use one of these: 1.8" SATA II OCZ Technology

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 1.8" SSD - OCZ
Slim 1.8" Design: 78.5 (L) x 54 (W) x 5mm (H)
Power Consumption: 2W in operation, 0.5W in standby
Available in 40GB, 90GB, 180GB capacities (read:~285MB/s, write:~275MB/s)

or
OCZ Onyx Series SATA II 1.8" SSD - OCZ
Ultra-Slim 1.8" Design: 78.5 (L) x 54 (W) x 5mm (H)
Power Consumption: Idle: 375mW Active: 1000mW
Available in 32GB and 64GB capacities (read: ~135MB/s, write: ~70MB/s)

I bought the last one in 32GB (OCZSSD1-1ONX32G)

Don't forget to buy a MicroSata to Sata Adapter from Ebay:
micro sata adapter | eBay
  (#26) Old

Default 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM

You can always remove the case. The Intel I fitted, was perfect.

Benchmarks SSD Charts 2010
  (#27) Old

Default 05-21-2011, 01:55 AM

I purchased the Duo from the Dell outlet and have not been happy with it's speed, graphics, or battery life. Everything I am reading says to dump the 320GB drive for an SSD. Which will help in all these areas. I have a Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB I got from newegg for $79.

Watching the video it doesn't show any special plugs needed and it states a 2.5 was used and they had no issue. Reading the posts I am consurned this may not be a good idea after all. Also with this Duo using an Intel chipset board and Window7 is TRIM still supported?
  (#28) Old

Default 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody213 View Post
I purchased the Duo from the Dell outlet and have not been happy with it's speed, graphics, or battery life. Everything I am reading says to dump the 320GB drive for an SSD. Which will help in all these areas. I have a Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB I got from newegg for $79.

Watching the video it doesn't show any special plugs needed and it states a 2.5 was used and they had no issue. Reading the posts I am consurned this may not be a good idea after all. Also with this Duo using an Intel chipset board and Window7 is TRIM still supported?
A fresh Windows 7 installation on a SSD will speed up your Duo and decrease power consumption. The graphics are not affected directly by the SSD.

Your SSD does support TRIM so what is the problem? I can imagine that the drive is to high but at Corsair the have a video upgrading an Dell Inspiron...

Nova Series

Last edited by Pascal Saul; 05-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.
  (#29) Old

Default 05-22-2011, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I agree the SSD will increase load, read, and write times. It also uses less power so I will save on battery. As for the graphics it takes from the existing Memory. 2GB is not much and at this point we can't add any more to the Duo (4GB stick would be really nice). However there are ways to allocate more of the NAND FLASH to the buffer and help with memory shortage issues.

"Your SSD does support TRIM so what is the problem?" Not sure if you were aware of this but just because the SSD and your OS support TRIM doesn't mean TRIM is actually working. Your SATA Controller must also support TRIM for it to function. I found this out the hard way. My gaming rig / media server uses the nVidia i730 chipset and i have a 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. I have traced the command lines and TRIM will not work with the JMicro controller my MB is using. After further investigating I found that at this point only Intel SATA Controllers will carry the commands needed for TRIM to work correctly.

" I can imagine that the drive is to high." I am not sure what you are saying here? Are you talking about the dimensions of the SSD?

I still have a few questions before I am will to try this so any help would be appriciated.

- Why is a special plug needed for the SSD? There was no special plug shown on the video.

- What is the chipset and version of the SATA controller being used with the Duo? I have looked and can't find the information.

- Are they working on a Bios update so we can increase to 4GB of memory?
  (#30) Old
Expert Member

Default 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM

I can say with confidence that there will never be a bios update to increase the amount of RAM that can be used in a netbook unless a private party does it, and that is extremely unlikely.
2GB is the sweet spot for netbooks.

If you actually need more RAM than than 2GB, you might have chosen the wrong machine for your needs.
If the rest of the performance curve doesn't match up with your expectations, then I honestly don't see an SSD install changing any of that.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast

« AHCI vs ATA? | SSD battery performance? »