Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old
Default The reason I got the Dell Duo - 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Hello all! I look forward to seeing everyones ideas and useage of the Dell Duo.

I saw the Duo for the first time on Dells website and thought to myself.... (Self) This thing looks awesome!!!
(Me) You are right this is awesome!!!!
(Self) You must have it!!!
(Me) I must have it!!!!!

So the rest is history. I pushed the buy button and it arrived about 2 weeks later..... Much to my suprise. It wasn't scheduled to be delivered until the 22nd of December. Early Christmas!!!! Woohoooo........

Now for my intent...... I have and use quite a bit a Delorme PN-40. I use it on my motorcycle and in my truck. Now its not Tom Tom or Nuvi but it go the job done for me.

When I saw the Duo I had an idea........ Put the Delorme software on it mount it in the truck hook the PN-40 to it and use it for a Nav system in my truck......

So I ordered a RAM Tough Tray II to mount in my truck. Found a 12v charger that met the same specs as the factory charger. Altough I found a charger that met the same spec it didn't have the same "TIP" as the Duo.... The search is on. After a little research I did find the right tip. 2.1mm ID and 5.5mm OD.... I found a local shop that had a pig tail off something else and it fit just right. So for 3 hard earned dollers dude hooked me up. He proceeded to soder and heat shrink the whole business. He did a great job and it looks great. First test in the truck the charger worked fine. Good to go.....

Now i haven't mounted anything in the truck yet because its been too damn cold here. I plan on getting this going asap....

I will take some pics and get them up as I go along.

(#2) Old
Default As Promised......... - 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM

.... PICS.

now 017 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

now 016 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

now 014 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

I am not really happy with mounting.. I am going to have to work on sureing up my mounting system..... its got too much movement.

I also need to work on my wire routing. I have a different stero to put in my truck that has bluetooth in it as well as USB....

I am still considering getting a little GPS receiver just to use with this set up that way I can keep my handeld for other things....

(#3) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 12-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Now that is just way too cool!
  (#4) Old
Default 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM

That mount will put too much stess on your cigarette lighter. i bought UltimateAddons windscreen suction mount holder for netbooks, which has dual suction cups to mount to the windshield.

« What Do People Think? | do you think its a ipad killer? »