Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default Hello All - 03-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Hello everyone. I purchased a Dell 11z just a couple days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. I actually bought the extended life battery for it as well and it just arrived today. So I thought I would start looking for some forums to see what all interesting things are being done with this laptop.

I bought my wife an Acer Aspire One about a year ago. Was going to buy a Dell 11 then but could not find one anywhere. So she got the Acer I got a Dell 1545 and 1750. After playing around with her Acer here and there, I found I really like the computer overall, but the keyboard was just a touch too small for me to type comfortably on. So I decided I would be getting myself a mini as well.

I was unsure about the Dell Duo. I kinda like the concept but just unsure about it. I didnt particularly care for the screen angles on the M101 so I started looking for the 11z again and found one for a reasonable price. In addition, there is a modification for the Acer One where a touch screen can be added so that may be something to toy with down the road on the 11z if it can be done on it though Im not sure of the practicality of it other than just to do it.

Anyway, I guess its a standard 11z. Comes with Win 7, which will be near immediately replaced with Linux Mint 10 KDE, 1.3GHz SU4100 dual core processor, 2gig ram, 160Gb 7200 RPM drive. I have a couple SSD drives here, but the biggest I have is 40Gb and Im already pushing at least that much in my home folder with music, pictures, docs and so on so Im not sure that will be a practical thing to use.

Ive read about some issues with the touch pad on the Dell 11z, but I have a script I already run in Linux that runs at start up that if it detects a USB mouse plugged in, it disables the touch pad, so I will work around that issue with that.

Are there any other modifications that I can quickly do that will improve the 11z any after I get it in my hands?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM

nope...just enjoy your new toy......

PS. Welcome to the forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 03-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Thanks. It just came in today. I am going to have to do something about adjusting the screen brightness in linux. I have already wiped off Win 7 and installed Linux Mint 10 KDE.

I saw some posts about the screen brightness in here somewhere, but I dont recall anything that worked or dealt with Linux.

« Inspiron 1121 pictures | Solution for Screen Brightness on Linux Mint »