Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default Use Tmo on Sprint 11z? - 01-22-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm new to the 11z, but love it so far. I have the i3 version from Sprint, with built in gobi 2000 card from qualcomm.

This comes configured for use in the US for Sprint 3g and 4g wimax service.

Firstly, does anyone know if this can be changed to use Tmobile in the US? I have a Tmobile phone with unlimited data plan, and I've heard that people have been able to get this to work with thinkpads with the same gobi 2000 card. I'm not even sure where the SIM card goes, let alone how to reconfigure everything to work.

Secondly, I also have a sprint phone plan with unlimited data. Is there anyway to configure the 11z to connect to 3g with my sprint phone's account info?

Any thoughts?

11z i3 8g DDR3
  (#2) Old
Default 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM

Supposedly it can be done on other devices, in linux I can get it to pick up gsm.

In windows, I can edit the profile (if you go to program files, qualcomm, dell , images, you will see some folders labled 0, 1, 2, 3 6, 15, umts)

Then in the qualcom options you can change it from 3 (which is sprint I think) to umts

then use the verizon tool, set the options to gsm and see if it works

Or sprint says

"You can also roam internationally on 3G GSM networks, where available, with your Dell 11z notebook. To do this:

Contact us to get a SIM card and sign up for the appropriate international price plan (if available)
Insert the SIM card underneath the battery in your Dell 11z notebook
After inserting the SIM card, in Sprint SmartView, go to Tools
Select Change device mode
Choose Sprint UMTS for Europe"

« Dedicate memory to video? | HDMI cuts out 3.5mm audio »