Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default Need help (again) from existing 11z owners - HD Issue - 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Okay so I've had an 11z for about a day now and already I've ballsed it up! Purchased a 500gb drive to replace the 250gb drive that was already installed and working. I fitted both to my desktop PC and used the WD version of Acronis True Image to clone one HD onto the other so I could keep the "Recovery" and "Dell Utility" partitions.

Everything seemed to go okay but after putting the 500gb drive in the 11z it wont boot.. instead after the Inspiron boot logo, I get a "Windows Failed to Start" error, due to a recent hardware change. So I put the 250gb drive back in and I get the same error

So I hooked the drives up to my desktop machine and took a look at the partition details and this is what I am seeing:

Dell Utility (~2gb - Fat 16, OEM Partition)
Recovery ( ~8.4gb, NTFS, Active, Primary Partition, Drive F)
OS (~226gb, NTFS, Primary Partition, Drive G)

Now I'm pretty sure that when I checked the partition details of my 250gb drive while it was still in the 11z, the Dell Utility partition was FAT 32, the Recovery partition was not the active drive and was also hidden (No drive letter) and the OS partition was the active partition and of course, drive C.

If it's anything to do with the fact that it's the drive letter then I'm stumped because I can't assign the drive letter "C" to the OS partition since it's in use by the boot partition of my desktop.

So can someone tell me their partition details for their own 250gb drive for comparison? You can find this info quite easily by right clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting Manage, then clicking on Disk Management in the pane on the left.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Do you have a Windows 7 install disc? Just run the repair option and it should sort it out.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#3) Old
Default 10-01-2010, 01:04 AM

I added a 500gb drive to my 11z as well but wasn't concerned about the restore partition on the new drive so i just split the drive in half, loaded OS X on one and Win7 64bit home pre on the other. Works perfectly. One thing I did notice that's different on the 11z is the countdown option runs much slower on the 11z than it does on the 10v.

The backup of the 250GB drive I ran was directly out of Win7 to capture the restore partition and the drive contents. Of course when you restore this way, the drive you restore it to has to be the same size as the one you're restoring from.
  (#4) Old
Default 10-01-2010, 06:30 AM

If I were you, I would just format again and get rid of the Dell Utility and Recovery partitions. It usually comes loaded with bloatware (Dell isn't too bad compared to competitors). Plus then you get the extra 10GB back. That's the first thing I did with my 11z was do a clean format to get rid of the Dell Bloatware.

Dell Inspiron 11z - Celeron 723 Processor - 4GB 800mhz RAM - Western Digital 250GB AV-25 - Intel 5300 Wireless N - Dell 365 Bluetooth - Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old
Default 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Ah luckily I was able to resolve this one last night.. late, late last night. I don't have an external DVD drive and the only USB memory stick I had laying around was a little 1gb stick that wasn't going to hold a copy of the files from the Windows 7 DVD.. but I eventually found a small 16mb .iso that was released by MS - it basically contains the recovery console and I was able to put that one the stick and boot from there.

The automatic scan picked up a problem right away (but didn't tell me what it was - MBR I guess), fixed it and rebooted.. and now everything is running fine. Now to take the 250gb drive that came with the 11z and put it in my 10v..

« A question for single & dual core 11z owners | The state of graphics OC on 11z »