Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Jun 2010
Defining Unknown Device in Windows XP - 07-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Here are the instructions for removing the final unknown device in XP. I didn't include this directions in the 11Z XP Installation Guide because it doesn't really do anything about making XP perform better on the 11z.
In a post from Marenz, he mentions that you can use a downloadable file named "system.inf" to help recognize and register the unknown device as the new system device "Direct Application Launch Button".
1) Create a new directory on you desktop.
2) Download MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and place it in the new empty folder.
If you were to edit this file with NotePad (system.inf is really a text file), and you scanned for "Direct Application Launch Button", you'd see its definition resides in a section of the file defined as "Do-nothing section used to avoid 'Unknown hardware' installation prompts."
No device drivers are installed when this device is configured.
3) Edit the system.inf with Notepad and find the following line (about 2/3 the way down the file)
*PNP0C32.DeviceDesc="Direct Application Launch Button"
4) change the description to whatever you want (within the quotes) and save the changes.
5) open Device Manager
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance And Maintenance -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
6) alternate click on the unknown device, and "update driver" which invokes the "Hardware Update Wizard"
7) (screen 1 of wizard)
??? Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?
No, not this time
8) (screen 2 of wizard)
??? What do you want the wizard to do?
Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
9) (screen 3 of wizard)
Please include your search and installation options
Include this location in the search
(Browse to new folder on desktop)
Your new device should now be installed.
My 3 machines have the devices "Flux Capacitor", "88mph DeLorean", and "Mr Fusion Home Energy Reactor". What did you pick?
Join Date: Jul 2010
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.