Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Unhappy Boot from Built-in Card Reader? - 05-31-2010, 11:28 PM

I've created several bootable SD/SDHC cards (DOS/Win98 & WinPE3), but I can't get my 11z to boot from any of them. I can boot my desktop computer from all these same cards. The card reader works fine in Windows 7 (x64, 4GB RAM), but the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize an inserted card as a USB device, a removable device, or as a hard drive. All the USB options in the BIOS are set correctly AFAIK.

Windows Device Mgr shows the card reader as a USB device and functioning normally. I made a bootable SD using my 11z, but I can't get the 11z to boot from it. (Desktop boots from it!) What am I missing? For now I've been using USB key drives for booting (on the few occasions I've needed to). But I have a handful of SD cards I'd like to use (for booting utils, etc.) on this 11z.

I've already searched the forum and found nothing. Can anyone help please?

(#2) Old
Default 09-03-2010, 04:06 AM

AFAIK the 11z doesn't support booting from a memory card, only from a USB stick. This is a real shame as I was planning on using a 64gb SD card as my boot drive. Now I will have to buy a SSD drive instead

11z, boot, card reader, winpe

« Mini 11z OS X Snow Leopard | 11z rebooting on it's own then hanging »