Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default Bad and cut image (11z -> LCD TV) (HDMI-> HDMI) - 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM

I just bought a Dell notebook Inspiron 11z and plugged it into my 32" LCD TV Samsung using HDMI, but image is not so good, I tried all possible configurations resolution, the TV image edges was cut (few inches) I dont know how to configure for best image. I want to see the entire image.

My TV is not FullHD, but i thought its accept at least 1366 x 768 right?
but TV only accepts 1280 x something when(recomended) I configure TV resolution on my 11z.
I´m using HDMI -> HDMI, when i use my MacMini or my PC(desktop) plugged DVI - > HDMI in my TV the image is perfect.

Whats going on?!
Anyone know what can I do to improve this image?

PS: Sorry about my english!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 02:18 PM

I have a Samsung as well. And was getting the cut images.

To fix it, I went into the Menu (on the TV), and under there it asks for Aspect Ratio. Try changing that around. For some reason, 16:9 would cut the sides off, yet "Just Scan" would work. Good luck!

Dell Inspiron 11z - Celeron 723 Processor - 4GB 800mhz RAM - Western Digital 250GB AV-25 - Intel 5300 Wireless N - Dell 365 Bluetooth - Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM

I have a Samsung HDTV/monitor.

As for being unable to choose the TV's native resolution on your 11z, try finding a monitor "driver" file (.inf) for your screen. In general, 1366x768 screens are difficult to get perfect, since 1366x768 cannot be precisely described by EDID. EDID is the way computer screens communicate their abilities.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
...For 1366×768 pixel Wide XGA panels the nearest resolution expressible in the EDID standard timing descriptor syntax is 1360×765 pixels, typically leading to 3 pixel thin black bars. Specifying 1368 pixels as the screen width would yield an unnatural screen height of 769.5 pixels.

Many Wide XGA panels do not advertise their native resolution in the standard timing descriptors, instead offering only a resolution of 1280×768. Some panels advertise a resolution only slightly smaller than the native, such as 1360×765. For these panels to be able to show a pixel perfect image, the EDID data must be ignored by the display driver or the driver must correctly interpret the DTD and be able to resolve resolutions whose size is not divisible by 8. Special programs are available to override the standard timing descriptors from EDID data; PowerStrip for Microsoft Windows and SwitchResX for Mac OS X. Even this is not always possible however, as some vendors' graphics drivers (notably those of Intel) require specific registry hacks to implement custom resolutions, which can make it very difficult to use the screen's native resolution.[6]

As for the "cut" image, overscan is when the image is cut off because it's too large for the screen. I have a few ideas for fixing it. On my Samsung, to get it to display the entire image over HDMI, without overscan, I need to play with the "P.SIZE" button on the remote until "Just Scan" is selected. Or go through the menus to find the same setting, as described above.

But I still wasn't satisfied with it as a computer monitor over HDMI until I renamed the input "PC" (input naming is in the menus somewhere). On my Samsung, an input named "PC" gets treated in a more PC-appropriate manner. If you're using the TV for video playback, not as a monitor, the name change probably isn't needed.

Also, I'm not sure how these overscan settings will interact with different resolutions. I have to drop to a lower resolution when playing some demanding games, and my Samsung doesn't treat lower resolutions the same as perfect native resolution (1080p in my case, 1366x768 in yours). I'd try to get perfect native (1366x768) resolution working first, then work on overscan.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM

thanx for the answers,

I just went to this site: Intel® Driver Update Utility

then Updated my chipset to newer version

is working Perfect!!

I was think about return the 11z because that, but No way, this little beast is amazing!!! =o)

By the way, how many slots for memory it has? i was think to put 2Gb more, I Want 4GB.
  (#5) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by crismzz View Post
By the way, how many slots for memory it has? i was think to put 2Gb more, I Want 4GB.
One slot so you can fit a single 4GB DDR2 stick but it is expensive.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230

« Glossy Screen - Ugh | Battery replacement - credit where it's due »