Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default How to install XP on an 11z (drivers, etc) - 03-24-2010, 05:05 AM

1) use the vista 32bit drivers from the dell website for your regular ethernet, audio, chipset, and touchpad. it's probably a good idea to just install just the NIC driver and immediately update to SP2 to avoid any problems, & then install the rest. also grab the capslock application and wireless on/off toggle utility because they are actually useful.

2) the video driver "auto-detect" on the intel website was sort of flaky for me, so i will try and find a direct link to the appropriate graphics driver:
(if that doesn't work try finding something called "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family"). maybe the auto-detect will work for you, who knows...

3) wi-fi is a bit tricky. go to dell drivers and tell it you have a "studio 1555" laptop. then download the XP wi-fi driver that refers to a "1397" something-or-other. when you install that you'll get an error and no working wi-fi. so now you have to go into device manager->reinstall driver and pick the actual directory where the dell driver unzipped itself to. this actually worked, for me at least!

4) your fn-F2->fn-F5 keys will *never* work, IMHO -- although for some reason the rest of them do work (fn-F1 & fn-F7-fn-F12). what you do to fix your dim screen is open graphics properties from either the tray icon that the graphics driver installed, or else from the display->advanced tab. then it will make you install microsoft .NET 3.0 (which is very slow). but after all thatyou can manually adjust your screen brightness, contrast and gamma just as bright as you could have got it if the multimedia keys still worked!

i would also point out that the speakers sound way better if you double click the realtek tray-icon and pick the "treble" EQ option.

(#2) Old
Default 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks you, for the very useful info.

I wanted to do this when I got my 11z. However, after using WIN 7 for a couple of weeks, I decided to use WIN 7. The only bad thing about WIN 7 is actually all the Aero themes. The contrast in Windows Explorer is not good at all for my eyes so I customized a Classic theme to my like.

I tried to edit the aero.mystyles file (after installing the hack) but that slows down picture previewing (a known issue) so I had to uninstall the hack.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM

This is very helpful, thank you =)

Toshiba Satellite M645-S40408 | Fusion Finish | 500 gb | 6gb | Core i5-460M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M | Win 7
HP Mini 311 | Black | 500 gb | 2gb | Atom 270 | NVIDIA ION | Win 7
Dell Mini 1010 | Obsidian Black | 160gb | 1gb | Atom z520 | Win XP
  (#4) Old
Default 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Well, I did a dual-boot WIN7/XP on my 11Z today and I have a few good news to report.

I used the Dell 10V wireless card driver (XP) and it worked perfectly. That was the first driver I installed and then I did the Windows Update and installed the latest Intel chip driver.

I got Fn + F2 and F3 to work as well. However, Fn + F4 and F5 do not work.

I am convinced Win 7 X64 has some bugs in its USB drivers. There are so many reports on mouse not working, slow transfer speed, etc.

In my case, I have three Logitech mouses, two USB and one bluetooth. You cannot believe how they behave in WIN 7.

One of the USB wireless mouse will only work on the left USB port. The other USB wireless mouse will not work in any of the three ports. The blue tooth does not work either. The system recognizes the mouse by installing an HID device but the mouse driver would never install.

In XP, ALL mouses work. I tried the mouses under Ubuntu and they worked so that convinced me it was a WIN 7 problem.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that there is still one unknown device in device manger but everything seems to be working.

It lists as: ACPI\PNP0C21\1
  (#5) Old
Default 04-08-2010, 03:57 AM

Thanks for your guide. I successfully installed Windows XP in a Dell z11. If you don't mind, I would like to add a few tips:

1- Download and install before anything else the Intel Chipset Inf drivers: *INF Update Utility - Zip Format

2- Download and install second the Microsoft UAA driver: Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver available for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Window 2000

3- Download and install third the Video/Audio drivers: *IntelĀ® Graphics Driver for Windows XP* (exe)
(this is the same one in your link)

After that, the Audio and the rest of the drivers can be installed.

Also, if you end up with two "unknown devices", these are the following:

- Battery meter/wireless select switch: Drivers and Downloads

- The other is called "direct application launch button". Device Manager identifies it as "ACPI\PNP0C32\1".
I am not entirely sure where did I get this driver, but in another Dell forum, they offered this one:
It might work.

I hope this is of help.
  (#6) Old
Default 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM

There is some great information here, that if i would have found earlier i would save some time, but im having problems using the webcam even though the driver is installed..
  (#7) Old
Default 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM

1) what does the 'Battery meter/wireless select switch' do?

and where is it?

2) where is the 'direct application launch' button?
('unknown device' driver i just installed from Marenz's post)

3) 'I used the Dell 10V wireless card driver (XP) and it worked perfectly.'
downloading now. geez... 96megs for a wireless driver?!

wireless driver does not work. "no compartible hardware found"

« Just order my 11z today! I think I got a good deal. | Adapter for DVI-D or VGA ? »