Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default SD Card Reader Question... - 09-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Dear 11z Owners!

One thing I hate on the Mini10 is the fact that the SDCard (when inserted) sticks out noticeably from the chassis as opposed to the flush position of the Mini9.

Does the 11z have this same issue - as I would rather have a flush fitting so I can use the SDCard for readyboost.

(#2) Old
Default 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM

You can get for example a Sandisk Ultra II SDHC.
It's only filled with the electronics in the top half.

(Many other models will be the same I think.)

The lower half is solid plastic, so you can cut or saw it off, and still have a closed body and a working card...

Dell Mini 10v | 1GB RAM | 16GB SSD | 1024 x 600 | OS X 10.6.1 | NBI 0.8.3 RC3 | USB Legacy: Off | 16GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC sawed off
  (#3) Old
Default 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM

I think you're outta luck. They don't make short SD cards as far as I know. I would only work for your case. Any other card reader would eat the short card and you wouldn't be able to get it back out.

It does have a Mini PCI-e slot that is really easy to access. It's right under the keyboard. You could always spend some extra money and get one of these: - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Solid State Disks,Mini PCIe

And use it for readyboost, or better yet, install your OS onto there, then you wouldn't need readyboost and it would be considerably better than ready boost as those Mini PCIe cards are considerably faster.

EDIT: Guess what Thyraz says will work too. Not sure if I would want to ruin a SD card just for readyboost. SD cards are cheap though so....

« on screen function buttons (volume etc) | Which one to keep- 10v or 11z? »