Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old
Default Bought One - 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM

First post. I just bought a Dell 11z through my work. Free overnight shipping and a 9% discount, I couldn't resist.

First netbook I've owned. I've worked on plenty, this one is pretty awesome. The celeron is blazing fast for what it is. I was expecting a POS but it actually runs vista really well. I think the 2GB of RAM plays well with that. I have it dual booting with ubuntu. Works much faster (to be expected) but because I've tried and tried and couldn't get the touchpad to disable while typing (or wasn't able to configure the touchpad at all), I've been booting into vista because I am constantly hitting the touchpad while typing.

Getting used to the new touchpad. I've used plenty but this one is so intuitive it's pretty awesome. The multi finger stuff makes the touchpad so much more useful. Not sure how many laptops you can do this on, but you can program two, three, and four finger taps. Pending on how many fingers you use, it does a specific command. This was not programmable in Ubuntu though. I couldn't get the elantech stuff to install correctly on here. Any Linux guru's around to help? I usually just google what I am trying to do and follow forum help.

Battery life is easily 3 hours with the monitor dimmed. Without the monitor dimmed though, it's a little more than 2 which still isn't bad. This is with the 3 cell battery and in Vista. Ubuntu seemed a little less as I was having problems with the screen dimming. All the other "function" keys worked right outta install.

I saw there wasn't much info on it here and lots of questions so I figured I would give my 2 cents. Anyways, I'll be hanging around here more. Hopefully I can get some help in ubuntu getting the stuff to work better. Feel free to ask questions, I've been using it since last friday.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM

Yeah those were my first impressions pretty much as well. The touchpad was the only thing that had me apprehensive at first but I've grown to like the two finger scroll and multi-finger taps for shortcuts. The speakers were also a pleasant surprise.

11z, dell, ubuntu, vista

« - | Disassembly instructions? »