Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default vostroA90 vs 10v vs 10 - 06-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Alright another one of these threads...

so basically I've had my eye on the 10v for the past couple of days.

What do I want to use one of these for? Browsing the net... talking on ventrilo... using a program called rsbot (Runescape botting) and playing runescape. Possibly watching some movies..

So which one of these is best for me...

If I get the v10 I will most likely upgrade to 2gb ram... get the 6 cell battery.. and the atom 1.66Ghz processor

Possibly get a 7200rpm HDD but will I see a significant performance increase?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM

The Vostro A90 is discontinued and is the same as the Mini 9. The 10v is a very similar design to the Mini 9, with the notable addition of a non-SSD hard drive. I doubt you will see any advantage to a 7200RPM hard drive and probably a disadvantage in battery life. The 2GB RAM update will help.

The 10 (no v) has a different set of components that is supposedly better suited for video, but is not upgradable. Either one should suit the purposes you describe.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Hard drive upgrade - 07-05-2009, 11:31 PM

I put a 7200 rpm seagate i had laying around in my 10v, i saw no appreciable difference in either my 1o or the 10v, looking at getting a ssd next. The 64 gb kingston has a decent price at newegg, specs aren't quite up to the ocz or the runcore pro iv but you get twice the storage for a few more bucks.
  (#4) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Bought the Dell A90 about a week ago. Would appreciate two pieces of information. Where is the notification of the discontinuance of the the A90? And, I plan to upgrade the 1G of RAM that came with it to 2Gs, do you have the spec., for the 2G chip? Believe it is single channel, DDR2, SODIMM, PC4200, but not sure. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Bought the Dell A90 about a week ago. Would appreciate two pieces of information. Where is the notification of the discontinuance of the the A90? And, I plan to upgrade the 1G of RAM that came with it to 2Gs, do you have the spec., for the 2G chip? Believe it is single channel, DDR2, SODIMM, PC4200, but not sure. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

FWIW: Vostro A90 is still avail to order new as of today via Dell Small Business so it is not quite discontinued but more than likely will be soon...

« asus, Pentium t3200 160gb 2gb os; vista premium. intel dual-core | download problems »