Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#21) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM

I decided to go with a refurb 9. It took me over 2 months to decide. I liked the smaller size of the 9 for portability. Another reason is that it would be difficult to get the refurb mini 10v with the 1024X600 at this point in time. The ability to upgrade the RAM easily was another factor for me. The trackpad is awesome too. I already have a Macbook so I wanted something really small.
  (#22) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 08:39 PM

I prefer the bigger screen & keyboard

Mini 10V | 1.6GHz | 2GB | 16GB SSD | GMA 950 | OSX | ~$180ish | Wireless-N | 6-Cell |
M1340 | 2.4GHz x2 | 4GB | 320GB 7.2K-RPM | Nvidia SLi 9400M + 9200GS | 7-RTM | $500.00 | WEI: 5.3 |
  (#23) Old

Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM

I went with the 9 because of ease of upgrading and lower price . I would hate to have to strip the netbook down to the motherboard to install more RAM. Plus I got my DM9 exactly how I wanted it (2GB RAM, 32GB ST SSD, XP/OSX, 1.3MP Cam, BT) for about $350.
  (#24) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 11:40 PM

So, I ended with the 10v. I put an install of OS X on it. After a week I wanted more so this week I just dual booted OS X 10.5.7 and Windows 7. Let me tell you!!! Its the coolest little machine I have ever played with. It sounds kinda crazy but I like my Mini 10v better than my XPS M1530. Its just so much more fun to play with. Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone out there that helped with my decision! This is a great thread! I would like to see it keep going just so it can help out other people make there decision like it did me

Dell Mini 10v - Atom 1.6 - 1 GB RAM - 160 GB HD - Camera - Obsidian Black - Mac OS X 10.5.7 and Windows 7 RC
Dell XPS M1530 - Core 2 Duo 2.4 - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HD - Bluetooth - Camera - Midnight Blue - Vista Home Premium
  (#25) Old

Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default 07-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
So, I ended with the 10v. I put an install of OS X on it. After a week I wanted more so this week I just dual booted OS X 10.5.7 and Windows 7. Let me tell you!!! Its the coolest little machine I have ever played with. It sounds kinda crazy but I like my Mini 10v better than my XPS M1530. Its just so much more fun to play with. Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone out there that helped with my decision! This is a great thread! I would like to see it keep going just so it can help out other people make there decision like it did me
I'm glad you're happy with it. My DM9 should arrive Monday. I'm super stoked, it's my first Mini !
  (#26) Old

Default mini 9 vs 10v - 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

My initial instincts were to get the Mini 9; I ordered it last night. I wanted something as small as possible...no excuses for not carrying it with me. Ease of upgrades on the 9 was also a factor. I may load OS X after a RAM and SSD upgrade.

I also wanted the SSD for speed and ruggedness. I have a Alphasmart Neo whose instant on/off feature really spoiled me.

The bigger screen was of the 10 was not a draw...the resolution is lower than the 9.

My only regret was waiting too long before ordering. By the time I did, there were no 1GB Mini 9's with webcams at the Dell Outlet. Did get Bluetooth though.

--tom
  (#27) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM

I posted in the OS X part of these forums...but I guess I could post here too lol

Quote:
I'm sure there's a couple threads out there, but I wanted to get opinions of those who have one or the other (or both) Minis. I know that I want one, but haven't really decided between those two. lol

The Mini 10v has a larger keyboard, larger screen (although lower resoultion), it's not as easy to get OS X on it, but it can be done, and from what I've read is more upgrade-able.

The Mini 9 is smaller, but the screen has a higher resolution, easy to install OS X, but I'm not sure how upgrade-able it is.

Then of course there's the price difference. Anyways I'm looking for your comments on the two.
  (#28) Old

Default 07-27-2009, 08:21 PM

They keyboard is the key for me. I could deal with the 9" screen and SSD, but I can't deal with the tiny shift key right next to the up arrow. The real shift key makes the Mini 10v the winner IMO, and it's not that hard to upgrade the Mini 10v. The memory upgrade you only have to do it once, and the hard drive is only three screws behind the keyboard. Takes 3 minutes to change it out.

Dell Mini 10v - WinXP/OSX 10.5.8 Dual Boot

« windows 7 and osx dual boot question | just got a 15% coupon in email from dell direct.. »