Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default SS Drive Capacity - The Numbers Don't Add Up - 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Hi. I have a Mini 9 to which I've been adding a minimal amount of software. I was surprised/alarmed to see that my C drive is showing 6.47 GB out of 7.1 GB used. However, when I added up the contents of the C drive folders, the total was only 4.85 GB. My question: what is consuming the remaining 1.5 GB or so?? Is there a better way to analyze drive usage?

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Chuck
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Swap file? Hibernation file?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Swap file? Hibernation file?
How might I determine the presence and size of those files? I thought I had opted to turn off hibernation, but perhaps I didn't do that...

Thanks for the quick response, reflex!

Chuck
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to fyrfyter Send a message via Yahoo to fyrfyter Send a message via Skype™ to fyrfyter
Default 06-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Don't forget about temp files, recycle bin, etc. All that stuff adds up, including remnants from program installs. If you want to rid yourself of a lot of that junk, I recommend the Crap Cleaner. Get it here CCleaner - Home
  (#5) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 08:38 PM

the pagefile is at the root of the ssd, you will need to un-hide system and hidden files to see it. It cannot be deleted unless you have disabled it. Oddly enough, when you disable it the file is left behind. Anyway, it typically shadows ram, so if you have 2gb of ram installed, your pagefile could be 2gb as well.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Temp files and recycle bin empty; hibernation was already turned off. Not seeing pagefile even after unhiding system and hidden folders and files; searching for it now. Thanks for all the input.

Chuck
  (#7) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Drive compression? Depending on which properties you're looking at the system sometimes shows the compressed size and other times the expanded size. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. I seem to recall that my Mini 9 came with the drive compressed.

Mini 10v | Atom N270 | 60GB OCZ Vertex SSD | 2 GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | Win 7 Build 7100
Mini 9 | Atom N270 | 16GB SSD | 2 GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | Win 7 Build 7100 (SOLD)
Latitude E6500 | Core 2 Duo P9500 | 250GB SATA | 4 GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | Win XP SP3
  (#8) Old

Default 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Mystery solved: pagefile was set to 1500 MB. Based on the instructions in the Dell Mini Zealot blog, I backed it down to 500 MB and the available C drive space increased by 1000 MB.

Thanks to all for your help - I sincerely appreciate it!

Chuck

« lime wire | Pair of Vostro A90: [WANTED] Minimalistic Suggestions »