Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New, couple of questions - 06-18-2009, 03:13 AM

Hey all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've finally caved and gotten an account

A few questions, because I'm a bit torn. I bought a Dell Mini 9 during the President's day sale to use as a supplement to my normal 17-inch Dell Studio. It's done wonderful so far, but I still need to get a new hard drive for it (4gig is enough to save a picture, I swear). I've got plans to do some tweaking once I have time.

However, the new Latitude 2100 has really, really caught my eye. So I was wondering how many people here have two netbooks, and what they do with each one? I like the idea of the Latitude's ruggedness because I'm moving to China in August and it would probably hold up better than the Mini 9. Also, are the parts interchangeable between the two? Do they use the same Hard Drive and RAM? Is it even possible to open up the Latitude?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM

The only Dell that a Mini 9 has interchangeable parts with is the Vostro A90. I can't imagine anything more rugged than a Mini 9 unless you got one of those armored notebooks that weigh a ton. There are no moving parts inside the Mini 9, and people have reported dropping them from significant heights and they still work. But the Latitude 2100 looks like a good bet for durability as well, if you get it with an SSD.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-18-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm intrigued by the Latitude 2100 but it looks quite bulky and the price is up there. Only time will tell (read: Dell Outlet). Speaking of Mini 9 durability....mine fell off a table (thanks to the doggy) with no damage. It was in one of those cheapy eBay zip-up cases.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7

« quick question on numpads | SSD vs HD regarding OSX. Necessary? »