Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default How to tell if I have bluetooth module? - 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM

How can I tell if I have a bluetooth module in my mini9 ?

I got a used mini9 with OSX on it.
OsX doesn't see any bluetooth module, but in the BIOS it shows bluetooth 'enabled'

Does it mean I have a bluetooth module but not visible to OSX, or It's always there in the bios even if no module is installed ?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM

I can't completely answer your question, since my mini9 does have bluetooth. (and therefore should also have the bios option) But if your previous owner disabled bluetooth in windows or linux before installing OSX than OSX will not be able to detect your bluetooth module.

in the osx forum there is a thread on how to solve this using an ubuntu/linux live usb stick. Search for something like `bluetooth ... (without xp)`

But than again, i don't know if your mini9 could have the bios option without having the actual module...

Good luck!
  (#3) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM

(#4) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 04:03 AM

thanks, before going into all these troubles, I'd like to figure out if I have it or not....
  (#5) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 04:09 AM

I assumed that you bought your Mini9 from Dell rather than reseller, you should have the invoice and packing list stating all the specifications clearly. If your Mini9 did came with Bluetooth, it should be stated on those document.

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home
  (#6) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinyam View Post
I assumed that you bought your Mini9 from Dell rather than reseller, you should have the invoice and packing list stating all the specifications clearly. If your Mini9 did came with Bluetooth, it should be stated on those document.
I got it on craigslist used.
The seller didn't even knew what bluetooth was. I got the CDs, but no invoice
I checked online and it doesn't show - but it shows up in the bios with enable/disable options...
  (#7) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 05:48 AM

Different configurations on a same model may be using the same bios. So it doesn't proof anything. Another way is to check with Dell using the service tag number on your Mini 9.

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home
  (#8) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 12:56 AM

I suppose you could also detach the keyboard (it's only two easy screws) and peek underneath to see if the bluetooth cable is there and is in fact connected:

Documentation

In the pic, the bluetooth is located in the #3 position.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 12:58 AM

P.S. That pic is the one showing you how to remove the entire palmrest after the keyboard has been removed, of course, you don't need to do all that...as peeking under the keyboard should be enough.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM

did that, removed the keyboard and no bluetooth cable,
so that answers my question, even if you don't have the bluetooth card, the bios shows it.

« Pair of Vostro A90: [WANTED] Minimalistic Suggestions | Dual Boot OSX and Windows 7 »