Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Couple of questions... - 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Hey everyone,

First of all, I'd like to say i've been lurking around on these forums for quite some time after seeing an Engadget post link here and really like the informed discussion and helpful people here.

Now, I have a few questions related to buying a netbook/laptop for college work.

Firstly, i'm wondering if a netbook is for me. I'd like to use it for basic internet, and, (hopefully) to run MS Office. I'm not sure whether netbooks are able to run MS Office, however looking at the new Dell Argos (code-named), it says it will have laptop-like performance, so would waiting for this be my best bet?

Secondly, if not, what laptop would you suggest? I'd like a small one, 15 inches or below although i'd like it to be quite cheap. It doesn't have to be very snazzy, just able to browse the internet and run MS Office.

Thanks in advance
Jason.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Netbooks can run MS Office just fine - especially if you're doing things such as Word or Excel. For the next six months or so, improvements in performance would tend to come on the graphics side rather than the CPU side. If you're not into gaming or streaming video, this isn't all that important.

For what you've described, any of the netbooks would suffice. You will need to decide if the small size and low weight (and lower cost) are worthwhile tradeoffs for higher performance CPU and graphics. I'd suggest that you should visit stores and try playing with various models to see how you like the keyboard, which is likely to be the most important factor for you.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks

I've had a look at the Dell 10 and Toshiba NB100's in stores, and prefer the size and feel of the Dell.

The next question would be: Dell 10v or 10?

Also, what operating system would you suggest? On my current laptop and home PC, i'm using Windows 7 and really like it. I'm interested in Mac OS but am worried about performance.

Thanks again
  (#4) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM

Performance on Mac OS X is great. I've been able to run Microsoft Office, iWork, and NeoOffice without any problems.

I don't think Mac OS X will run on the Mini 10, but it will run on 10v. However, at this time the internal microphohne, headphone out and microphone in ports don't work and the card reader only works with SD/SDHC cards. This will probably change as the 10v is still relatively new, and you can still use a USB headset as a workaround.

For college work, I think a netbook would work out perfectly for you. From my own experience, I've found it to be much easier to lug around and the battery life is awesome.

With that being said, I'm still not using it as my primary machine. I've got a 15inch Macbook Pro for heavy lifting, i.e. Photoshop, World of Warcraft, etc. But I am finding that it's much easier to pull out my Mini when I just want to browse the web or use it while lying in bed.

My recommendation: get the Mini 10v. It will serve you well and if you find you need more power, you can save up for a Macbook Pro 13inch later on.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks very much for your help silence and holmes4. You've persuaded me over to the Dell side

Going to order a Dell Mini 10v ASAP. Going to stick with Windows 7 for now and maybe venture towards OSX when I become used to the netbook.

Thanks again
  (#6) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM

I have the mini 1010 and have installed MS office with no difficulties encountered so far. The keyboard is one of the reasons I chose this model and is just fine for a reasonable amount of typing. All in all I'm happy with it.
Cheers.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM

I was wondering the same thing before buying the Mini 12. Unfortunately there were very little reviews about the performance of these netbooks on MS Office and Adobe Photoshop.
My Mini 12 runs MS Office 2003 and CS3 just fine. I've made video reviews in Youtube under the same user name.

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home

« GMA950 vs 500: Dell Mini 10 Video Performance | Hello all. Just got my runcore 32gb »