Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default GMA950 vs 500: Dell Mini 10 Video Performance - 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Hello all,

I am planning to buy my sister a Dell Mini 10 for her birthday. Apart from the video card (GMA950 vs GMA500) there doesn't appear to be much difference between the 10 and the 10v. I'm leaning towards the 10v because it fits my budget better, but don't want to purchase an underpowered netbook.

Can anyone with a 10v with 1Gb of ram and the GMA950 video card tell me if you're able to watch a Hulu video (480p) full screen without stuttering?

How about someone with a Mini 10 with 1Gb of ram and the GMA500?

I'd really appreciate your guys help with this! There aren't any stores around where I can go test this out myself.

Cheers!
  (#2) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM

It depends what your sister is going to use it for. If she is going to use it for video's that you wan to play in like i-tunes or streaming I wouldn't recommend the mini 10 with the GMA 500. I have one, I love it but it drives me nuts how the video is choppy because of the GMA 500.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via ICQ to ptdmini12 Send a message via MSN to ptdmini12 Send a message via Yahoo to ptdmini12
Default 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM

well, the gma500 as it stands right now is not performing as well as the 950. The issue isn't so much hardware as it is Driver capabilities.( the GMA500 is actually newer ) My suggestion would be to google Poulsbo, do a little research, and make your own call. If your sister wants to play youtube fullscreen, just make sure you have the latest drivers for the videocard. It might be a little choppy, I find viewing streaming videos in their popout-player about double size works best for me. Hopefully in a couple of months intel gets their act together and releases a FIX. Until then, if you decide to purchase a system with the GMA500, the most up to date drivers can be found here:

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=3240http://www.i-mbook.com/inc/down2.php?seq=25&x=1

Atom Z520@1.33 | Windows 7100
  (#4) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Well I took a trip into Hulu just for kicks and played a video. The video played just fine even though it did give me about a half second pause once during play. Other than that it played just fine. Hope this helps.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 04:03 AM

I have a Mini 12 with the same GMA500 chipset. YouTube was choppy, as same as some Facebook flash games. AVI movies under XVID/DIVX however were played smoothly using VLC Player. So I suspect there is something not right about how flash application was handled. I know YouTube is based on flash too.

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home

« help with uninstalling of programs | Couple of questions... »