Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Using Dell Mini 9/Vostro a90 with a Projector - 06-13-2009, 11:31 PM

One of the main reasons I wanted a Mini Mac was to do presentations while traveling.

I know that with the current driver (extension) that mirroring doesn't work, but extending the desktop to an external device does. I also have read that using the old extension supports mirroring to two monitors, but can be flaky.

Is anyone successfully connecting to and using projectors?

Thanks,

E

Dell Vostro a90, 16GB SSD, 32GB SD Card, 2GB RAM running OS X 10.5.7
My first "Mac" after 20 years on Windows and loving it
  (#2) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM

While I haven't connected my Vostro to a projector yet, I have plugged it into a couple of monitors and have been pretty pleased with the output from the A90. Its a good, stable image, that doesn't flicker or pulsate or otherwise do anything distracting. My only concern with using the Vostro/Mini 9 to run projectors and presentations would be the limited output resolutions. At least in Ubuntu, it seems like my Vostro is limited to 1024x768 (I think), while adequate, might not be the best format for certain types of presentations.

If you're doing fairly simple presentations, I suspect it'll be fine. If you're presenting really complex images or data and need a much sharper image, you might run into trouble with the Mini 9. That being said, I really can't imagine needing to project something that detailed.

It should do fine!
  (#3) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM

No projector yet (though we do have one here at work), but I did plug my A90 into a 24" Gateway monitor and it drove 1920x1200 just fine under OSX.

Image wasn't super sharp over standard crappy VGA but it was certainly usable.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#4) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Here's an answer for you. The Mini 9 works great with a projector. I used a 640x480 projector and was happy it worked great. And yes, it mirrored the mini's screen and I used it to load/unload games on my wall.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#5) Old

Cool 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx View Post
Here's an answer for you. The Mini 9 works great with a projector. I used a 640x480 projector and was happy it worked great. And yes, it mirrored the mini's screen and I used it to load/unload games on my wall.
Thanks. But what about higher res projectors like the ones I'm likely to encounter at hotels and other speaking venues?

E

(#6) Old

Default 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbneu View Post
While I haven't connected my Vostro to a projector yet, I have plugged it into a couple of monitors and have been pretty pleased with the output from the A90. Its a good, stable image, that doesn't flicker or pulsate or otherwise do anything distracting. My only concern with using the Vostro/Mini 9 to run projectors and presentations would be the limited output resolutions. At least in Ubuntu, it seems like my Vostro is limited to 1024x768 (I think), while adequate, might not be the best format for certain types of presentations.

If you're doing fairly simple presentations, I suspect it'll be fine. If you're presenting really complex images or data and need a much sharper image, you might run into trouble with the Mini 9. That being said, I really can't imagine needing to project something that detailed.

It should do fine!
Thanks for the input, no really detailed images. I've got an old Samsung 17" LCD Monitor that I'll plug in for starters.

E

(#7) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
No projector yet (though we do have one here at work), but I did plug my A90 into a 24" Gateway monitor and it drove 1920x1200 just fine under OSX.

Image wasn't super sharp over standard crappy VGA but it was certainly usable.
Interesting I just plugged it into a Samsung Sync Master 172n and it kicks both the Vostro and Samsung screen into a "test pattern" looking screen.

Did you long any drivers or just a standard OS X 10.5.7 install?

Thanks

(#8) Old

Default 06-27-2009, 11:40 PM

We used open office presentation on a DLP with out a problem. A USB mouse with fresh batteries makes it an easy presentation tool. Everyone else was lugging around notebooks with their eyes on my Mini 9.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#9) Old

Default 06-28-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsVostro View Post
Thanks. But what about higher res projectors like the ones I'm likely to encounter at hotels and other speaking venues?

E
Most professional speaking venues will use 1024x768 unless they tout high-res, which most don't because the A/V industry is waiting for switcher vendors to get HDCP certification on their devices. Don't get me started on the headache that HDCP is to A/V techs - I am one and it drives me insane at times.

I would recommend plugging your vga out into any available monitor and driving it at 1024x768 to test it. I don't know if you know much about OSX so take no offense when I tell you how to set up multiple monitors.

While using the following directions you should swing a dead chicken 10 times counter clockwise over your head, then swing it 10 more time clockwise over your head (the order is important, don't deviate) while chanting "Please God, just work" repeatedly until complete.

1. Connect your external device (projectors are just teeny tiny monitors with microscopes attached to them)

2. Apple Menu - System Preferences - Displays

3. Click the Detect Displays button.

4. If your external display is detected you will see a new button marked "Arrangement". Click it and select Mirror

5. Set the output to 1024x768

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#10) Old

Red face 07-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
Most professional speaking venues will use 1024x768 unless they tout high-res, which most don't because the A/V industry is waiting for switcher vendors to get HDCP certification on their devices. Don't get me started on the headache that HDCP is to A/V techs - I am one and it drives me insane at times.

I would recommend plugging your vga out into any available monitor and driving it at 1024x768 to test it. I don't know if you know much about OSX so take no offense when I tell you how to set up multiple monitors.

While using the following directions you should swing a dead chicken 10 times counter clockwise over your head, then swing it 10 more time clockwise over your head (the order is important, don't deviate) while chanting "Please God, just work" repeatedly until complete.

1. Connect your external device (projectors are just teeny tiny monitors with microscopes attached to them)

2. Apple Menu - System Preferences - Displays

3. Click the Detect Displays button.

4. If your external display is detected you will see a new button marked "Arrangement". Click it and select Mirror

5. Set the output to 1024x768
I'm very new to OS X so clearly no offense taken, in fact thanks for the level of detail.

I'll give this shot once I'm back in town again

E

Tags
dell mini 9, os x, presentations, vostro a90

« Usb power consumption?? | asus, Pentium t3200 160gb 2gb os; vista premium. intel dual-core »